SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  MANUFACTURERS FORUM  »  couple of veneer question
Page 1 of 1    

couple of veneer question

marker
Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Just a couple of quick veneer sequence questions if anyone wants to chime in

first I've heard that the veneers fail from the top down, if that is in fact true could you sequence the veneers this way for more strength,

L
L
L
C
L
C
L

I tried

L
L
L
C
C
L
L

found that the double up cross grain seemed to blow sooner then with a standard 7 ply sequence. I had thought that since the two cross grains had a parallel glue joint that it would be in fact stronger then beeing glued to a long grain which would have the wood grain being glued perpendicular. that doesn't seem to be the case.

Also would a formica ply as the bottom replace the 7th wood ply or be on top of it?

Thanks in advance for any input
marker
Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:02 pm Reply with quote
ouch.. oh well I guess the answer is just stick with the standard layup or make it an 8 ply to beef it up.

its not a skate deck and its not maple so maybe there isn't any input that would help. it is a basic 7 ply consturction though with tip and tail and heavy concave. the part that seems to take the most stress is the bend at the tail. going to use maple for the cross grain with polyurethane glue on the cross grain layers to try and keep it light and strong, we'll see.

mark
boss
Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote
marker wrote:
ouch.. oh well I guess the answer is just stick with the standard layup or make it an 8 ply to beef it up.

use all maple if possible, with standard layup, titebond 3 glue ( home depot ) works well. formica is usually the 8th layer.
marker
Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm avoiding maple cause of the weight, its a powskate thing so no concrete slams to worry about, was using multibond skate but am going back to titebond 3 for the next batch. not using formica actually but ptex for the last layer, may go with LLLCLCL then ptex for the 8th layer
marker
Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:08 pm Reply with quote
here's the pow skate

Most of the stress is directed at the tail, cause there's so much board in front of it. no real stress between the trucks .

the top decks measure 39 x 10 3/8, done in maple it weighs a ton, done in fir and its very light. just want to strengthen that portion of the board as much as I can.
boss
Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:56 pm Reply with quote
ok, now it's clear to me...cool

Page 1 of 1