SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  Returns?
Page 1 of 1    

Returns?

MileHighSkates
Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Apr 2004 Posts: 2708 Location: Boulder County, CO
I'm normally very lenient when it comes to returns. I've replaced wheels, trucks, bearings w/o having the customer ship them back, etc. Our return policy is clearly stated on our site, and you have to acknowledge it before you can check out/complete the purchase.

So today I get an e-mail from a kid complaining that his deck wasn't drilled correctly, and had a small crack in one of the plies. He goes on to tell me that he re-drilled it, but now it's cracking more. The board was a Christmas present, and he just now contacted me.

I feel bad that I didn't see/notice the crack, but I couldn't have caught the mis-drilling. Our return window is 15 days past date of invoice, but on Christmas gifts we extend that from Dec 25. I felt shitty telling him that it was outside the return timeframe (and that he had to contact the manu), but when he/they didn't contact me upon receipt, or before doing the re-drilling, well...

Curious to hear what folks think.
MMS
Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:59 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 03 Jul 2003 Posts: 15098 Location: Heaven or Hell...kinda hard to tell.
As a kid I would've hated hearing it.

As a business owner I agree with you 100% I have people that try to return Wine...with like 2/3 of the bottle gone (cause it takes until the third glass to tell for sure if it's bad or not ).

You did the right thing.

Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Apr 2004 Posts: 2708 Location: Boulder County, CO
Got another e-mail saying how's he's disappointed in my service, and goes onto say that he's been a customer since 2004, and has spent over $300 with us, etc. Can't recommend us anymore, yadda yadda yadda...

I forgot to mention that he epoxied the deck when he got it, and didn't bother contact us/me until today (board was a Christmas present).

I give up.
72ss454
Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Gift or not, he should have contacted you before touching the deck witha drill or anything else. It may or may not have had a defect, but now if definately does. Just like anything else you could purchase, any mod made to the item and it is no longer returnable. Sorry kid, no return or refund. Next time he will know and understand what he should do.
slob-air
Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Bullshit detector just went off. He drilled it causing the initial crack.

Drilling voids the warranty.

Get pics.

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:10 am Reply with quote
I don't think that you've done anything wrong Mark, the kid should not have messed with the deck in any way if he wanted to return it. If he was outside of your returns period well you can't help that.

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:27 am Reply with quote
well...is he, in fact, a repeat customer?

i've heard stories that customers will claim that, in an effort to get sympathy from a lowly store clerk, until the manager comes out and pwns the customer's ass by saying he's never seen the bastard in his store before....maybe he's just lying and trying to get a new free deck.
macsdaddy
Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Ditto on Blair's post.

You have the best Customer Service that I've encountered.

Time to say no.

auragreg
Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 31 Aug 2004 Posts: 2382 Location: Highland, Michigan, USA, Earth
a manufacturer's warranty is just that ... a MANUFACTURERS warranty. Most state that you don't bring it back to the store - you contact the company.

You did the right thing.... my bet is that he screwd it up trying to drill it or something.

My policy was - if you gripped it, or mounted trucks, you couldnt return it. Anything beyond an exchange or refund for an UN-used deck was a manufacturer's problem.

Plus - it sounds to me like the parent is writing the email. No kid is going to say that he's disappointed with your customer service. If he's older - he should know better.

Support skateboard art/artists: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BurbSkateboards
DomitianX
Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I had a guy send me an email yesterday saying he wanted to return a board that was 8.4 instead of 8.5 like the description said. He didnt have a order number for me to lookup and the sku he gave me isnt one of mine.

Oh yeah, the last time he bought from me was over a year ago. And it wasnt a deck. Claimed I had shitty service, blah blah. Same schpeel you got.

You did the right thing.

If a customer comes to me with a delam, crack, etc I usually refer them to the manufacturer but I will get a hold of the manufacturer, let them know whats going on and give them the customers info. So far I have had the best luck with that.

Page 1 of 1