SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  RAMPS  »  Ramp Building...
Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2

Ramp Building...

marker
Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:05 am Reply with quote
I know skatelite is super expensive and hard to justify...but the stuff is indestructible. the ramp will rot out from underneath it and the skatelite will be the same as it was the day you bought it. If you think long term then its not as much of an expense. it is 180/sheet shipped which will be around 2k for your ramp, probably three times as much as all the other material put together.

my second choice would probably be baltic birch plywood with a finish on it. the wood is plenty hard and the top veneer is smooth and free of knots. the problem is it comes in 5x5 sheets which messes up your layout.

the cheapest would be masonite and just plan on replaceing it every year and covering the ramp(you mentioned you live in the rain/snow belt as do I) The only downfall is that masonite starts out great but slowly deteriorates as it gets wet so its never as good as when you first put it down.

I've fooled around with a couple of other options and they all have their strengths and weaknesses.
Bruzzi
Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:39 pm Reply with quote
[quote] my second choice would probably be baltic birch plywood with a finish on it. the wood is plenty hard and the top veneer is smooth and free of knots. the problem is it comes in 5x5 sheets which messes up your layout.

hey marker how does that birch ply wood ride? i priced out ramp armor and it was gonna be like $3800 so now my plan is masonite/hardboard cause i want the smooth ride. its gonna be an outdoor ramp but i live in the desert and i was gonna cover it anyway for the rare times it does rain
Jersey Al
Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 09 Jul 2009 Posts: 71 Location: Northern New Jersey
Thanks for the ideas guy. The ramp will be all plywood. Time are rough and work is very slow (I sure I not alone here on this). It looks like at this point in time the ramp will be a spring project. I hope work will pick up over the winter. What I do is seasonal (drywall finisher) and it slow most winters. But I hear it will pick later this year. I hope...
marker
Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quote
birch is smooth and its hardness is similar to maple. would be much harder then cdx plywood. Seems like I've heard it used on some large minis in southern california.....privately owned skate parks?? anyone know what I'm talking about??

its not as smooth as new masonite though.

what about just using ramp armour on the flats and masonite on the trannies, that way puddles of water wouldn't really be an issue
Jersey Al
Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:10 pm Reply with quote
marker wrote:
birch is smooth and its hardness is similar to maple. would be much harder then cdx plywood. Seems like I've heard it used on some large minis in southern california.....privately owned skate parks?? anyone know what I'm talking about??

its not as smooth as new masonite though.

what about just using ramp armour on the flats and masonite on the trannies, that way puddles of water wouldn't really be an issue

I would use birch ply on the final sheet. Masonite no way the weather would eat it up.. Skatelite and armour is just two much money at this point. I would put birch down and put spar on it..
MikeSB
Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
What tools does someone need to build a ramp. I just bought my first house after a decade of apt. dwelling. I don't really have power tools yet, and don't want to buy something I don't need. I have a 20' X 12' side yard and I want to build a ramp there. I also have two left hands so I need some easy plans. I want a 4' mini with one side having a wedge ramp and quarter and the other just wider quarter. Any suggestions? Also I am a street dog and am only now getting into tranny skating. So I am not sure on dimensions. I saw some good advice in here and would appreciate some feedback.

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:04 pm Reply with quote
MikeSB wrote:
What tools does someone need to build a ramp. I just bought my first house after a decade of apt. dwelling. I don't really have power tools yet, and don't want to buy something I don't need. I have a 20' X 12' side yard and I want to build a ramp there. I also have two left hands so I need some easy plans. I want a 4' mini with one side having a wedge ramp and quarter and the other just wider quarter. Any suggestions? Also I am a street dog and am only now getting into tranny skating. So I am not sure on dimensions. I saw some good advice in here and would appreciate some feedback.

Your best bet is if you have a buddy thats a capenter. Call him for help. It will cost you a about a $500 to 800 for the ramp. And about 200 to 300 for the tools. Depends on what tools you want, and what kind of ramp. Give or take..

Here is one link that is good for ramp building.. Plain and simple..
http://www.diyskate.com/mini_03.html
MikeSB
Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Jersey Al wrote:
MikeSB wrote:

Your best bet is if you have a buddy thats a capenter. Call him for help. It will cost you a about a $500 to 800 for the ramp. And about 200 to 300 for the tools. Depends on what tools you want, and what kind of ramp. Give or take..

Here is one link that is good for ramp building.. Plain and simple..
http://www.diyskate.com/mini_03.html

Thanks.

Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2