SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SNOWBOARDS  »  Anyone ride any of the new swallow tails?
Page 1 of 1    

Anyone ride any of the new swallow tails?

knowskateboarding
Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 14 Nov 2001 Posts: 2813 Location: Monster Island(NYC)
I was thinking of getting one for my Utah trips. Any recomendations? I was thinking of the Voile split swallow.
Juarez
Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:16 pm Reply with quote
If you aren't planning on doing any skinning I wouldn't get a split board. They compromise far too much for their ability to turn into split climbing skis. You have to deal with a lot of extra parts and a significant loss in feel, plus they weigh more.

If you are bringing more than one board you should try to find one of the Original Sin Swallowtails or maybe look into the Burton Fish. Both trade off some hardpack functionality for powder performance, float, and a lot of manuverability. Otherwise, if you are looking for a kick ass powder board I would maybe shop for a longer board...a real powder gun. Out there you can run a much longer board and it feels right.
Don't get a split though...it's way to specialized to get just to add to your quiver. The bad things, unless you are going to use it as your main board all the time, far outweigh the good.
knowskateboarding
Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, but snowshoes suck dickholes. My friend who I visit in Utah made a split like 6 years ago when tex first made the bindings and he could literally do circles around me up the steepest powderfield. It would only be used for hiking the grizzly gulch in Utah and I'm told that tex and co. all ride the Voile. From what my friend told me he read in Couloir(?) is that you'll be waiting for your friends at the bottom everytime....or not. They called it the ultimate powder gun. I've never rode a swallowtail and I know split boards are a pain in the ass, but so is carrying your board and dealing with snowshoes. It would be weird being limited to only 1 direction but I don't spin a lot anyway. Traversing is another story I guess. I'd love to ride a true swallowtail in a pow wow. I wish you could rent them. Thanks for the info Juarez. Much appreciated.
Juarez
Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Burton Custom Split then. Both directions, less compromise. Swallowtails ride very differently. You have to use what's referred to as "Craig leg" to ride them properly...front leg straighter, bag leg bent, knees knocked a bit, instead of a more normal, centered posture that you use on normal hardpack. They sink really nicely in deeper powder but shit, for Grizzly Gulch where you just might find yourself wanting to go backwards at some point, you would want the option. See if you can rent from a place down in the city. DEFINITELY try before you buy.
knowskateboarding
Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Thanks again. Yeah, for a board I'd use 2-3 weeks outta the year max it's a big investment. Damn if I don't wanna try one though. I think it's safe to say I could rule out the grizz kickers with that thing.
malikson
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:29 pm Reply with quote
go to ebay and find an old sims swallowtail to ride.

Page 1 of 1