SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  DOWNHILL / SPEEDBOARDING / LONGBOARDS  »  What's your worst/scariest downhill experience?
Page 3 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

What's your worst/scariest downhill experience?

brewharriah
Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:58 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 27 Oct 2008 Posts: 14880 Location: fuckmylife, warshington
prolly '86-'87... cruising with my pops between SLO and Morro Bay on a back road called Turri Road...

pops says... why not try skating down this hill... looks fun

...last time I ever take advice from my father...

google earth this address "3514 Turri Rd, San Luis Obispo, CA"

and look at it on the ground level...

skating a mini Natas with Indys and Slimeball 97s... not exactly the prime setup for bombin a 30+ hill... street board, trucks loose, wheels HARD

get to about "3376 Turri Rd, San Luis Obispo, CA" and I'm getting fucking speed wobbles

...road goes slight right then a hard left...

me... I'm sliding skin offa my arms, elbows, wrists, knees, calves, thighs, nose, chin, forehead, etc...

you get the picture

I stumble to the car and my fucking asshole dad is laughing... HARD!

he's fuckin crying he's laughing so hard...

takes me to a Longs drug and get some bactine... and the fucker starts squirting me with it from 4-5 feet away lauging the whole time

back when bactine used to burn... like a motherfucker!!!!

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:21 am Reply with quote
brewharriah wrote:

When did bactine stop burning?

Same story here, lots of lost skin, complete right side of my body was a huge strip of road rash..

Went to school the next Monday only to have my Health teacher, Coach Reggie Day start busting out laughing as soon as he saw me.
We were cool so no big deal, he had actually already heard about it over the weekend, just needed visual verification before he could start the abuse.
del*13
Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:02 am Reply with quote
Joined: 17 Jul 2007 Posts: 12164 Location: Witch Hazel Farm
brewharriah wrote:
takes me to a Longs drug and get some bactine... and the fucker starts squirting me with it from 4-5 feet away lauging the whole time

Your Dad sounds like a pretty cool dude.
slavadov
Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:13 am Reply with quote
my first real DH experience...i had a homemade dropthru with the front truck misaligned. the dudes i was with said i hit about 35mph and hit a crack in the road. i got wobbles, but nearly rode them out until i hit some gravel in the road. i actually did this really cool move where i stepped off the board and onto my kneepads, but those stuck, so i got pitched forward onto my elbows, whereupon i rolled (and skidded) on my back. my shorts and shirt were shredded, my back was all kinds of torn up, and i got roadrash on my elbows through the fabric part of my elbow pads. oh, and somehow my board wound up 50 yards off the road behind all of our cars.

edit:
scariest moment was doing a little DH a few weeks after that with my CLB eleanor...i wasn't used to turning a drop-deck like that, so i got going faster than ^^that^^ story and had to turn a corner, which i couldn't. i narrowly missed a parked f-150 and rocketed off into someone's front yard.
72ss454
Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:58 pm Reply with quote
This guy:

On this(when it was new and the trucks were factory loose):

I lived at the bottom of a hill at 1306 7th St SE Cullman, AL 35055. I had seen my more talented/experienced friends bomb it a few times, but they knew things like how to tighten their trucks and how to avoid rocks/speed wobbles. Well, I decided that I was tired of looking like a wuss walking down or sitting on my butt to ride down the hill, so off I went. All was good from the start at 8th Ave. Made it almost to 9th Ave and got a bad case of the wobbles. As I passed 9th Ave I hit a few rocks about the same time I pulled out of the wobbles. Bounced over two and the third one was the charm. Launched me about sever yards looking like Superman, slid and rolled about twice that. First thing I did was jump up and run to get my board. After that I hobbled the 25 yards to my house and was yelled at by my Mom to not get blood on the carpet. Went straight to the shower and washed the rocks out of what was left of my skin. Still have a scar on my right knee. The next day, my Mom drove me to a Mall and bought me a set of Dr Bone Saver Elbow and Knee pads and a Pro Tec for the head that I never wore.

I have hit bigger hills, but can not even attempt to try that one again and it is much better now that both sides of 9th Ave are paved.
mosu101
Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I use to bomb a local hill if not daily at least many times in a week. As skate parks were a rarity in Sydney in the early 80's. Usually I would hit Kings road onto Village High road with 4 or 5 mates a few times a weekend starting off at the local bus stop at the bottom of the hill we would regularly catch the bus by grabbing its engine cover handle (local bus company ended up removing the handles for safety reasons) and get a free tow up the hill to the local light house and then down hill for maybe 4 kilometers back to he starting point.

One day in the middle of the week I was bored so went to hit the hill. got to the light house no worries and proceeded to roll Kings road. It had recently been resurfaced and had a tight corner of about 120 degree turn with a good steep gradient into a nice down hill with a road on the left side to wash excess speed of. So Ive gone flat stick into the corner and into the straight to suddenly have a Jaguar mk4 pull out and stop as the driver sees me all of about 25 meters away.

"Oh fu#k" was all I could think, there was no bail out option due to my speed and the road being entirely parked out. Only thing I could think to do was aim at the front of the car and hope to jump it.

So I jumped, launching myself off the board, as I flew over the bonnet I can remember thinking "Im gunna make it"., At this point my right foot clipped the jaguar emblem on the front of the bonnet and flipped me 180 degrees.

I remember landing as a human pancake melon first and momentarily blacking out. I got up less than a second latter as the driver got out of his car asking

"are you alright"

standing up charged with adrenalin and experiencing partial (thankfully temporary) paralysis of my right side, I managed to say

"Fug ouu Dik ead" and walked home, with a lump bigger than a golf ball on the back of my head , new road maps on my elbows and seeing stars. I probably should have had a cat scan but back in those days that was a relatively new medical technology.

These days I wear a helmet

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:21 am Reply with quote
Joined: 27 Oct 2008 Posts: 14880 Location: fuckmylife, warshington
del*13 wrote:
brewharriah wrote:

Your Dad sounds like a pretty cool dude.

at that moment... not so much... sadistic bastard more like it

but whaddaya do...

he's blood

Page 3 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3