SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SCREEN PRINTING  »  hey all! uk skate shop owner wants to have a go, can u help
Page 1 of 1    

hey all! uk skate shop owner wants to have a go, can u help

dawzilla
Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Really stoked to of come across this site, have stumbled into some invaluable information over the past 18 months of research and it's good to see the sites I have found mentioned previously by many experts mentioned here years before!

I set up my shop a 2 years back and its not doing amazing (being out in the sticks of shropshire isn't the no1 place to be for skating but we have some die hards!) but I love it and isnt that enough reason to have ago?

I have *some* past experience in printing (but please don't think of me as an expert - bit of uni screen printing and etching etc) but not enough to know my mesh count and what squeegee for what task..

To cut the crap and get to my points quick, I have read and absorbed the manufacturing pages and silkscreening pages and wondered if people could perhaps give me a little more info on what I'm trying to achieve:

Question 1
I was given two brand new alu screens before leaving uni about 6-7 years back, unused and large enough to do a middle graphic (between the bolt holes) - however I cannot find the mesh count... Any ideas as to how to find this info out?

Question 2
I was also given some pots (600ml) of ocaldo screen colour - wondering what they are made of as the label is really not got any information, thought worst case I could perhaps do some simple B+W flyers for my shop, but if they could be used on fabric then I would be mad to waste on paper...

Question 3
Im on a budget, and trying to operate in an area that has no real definitive scene, us die hards meet up and skate whatevers around (no parks for us lot unfortunately) but harshness and being under dogs doesn't half drive you to trying!

I would like to print waterbased t-shirts (ideally on light and blacks) without having to flash dry (unless someone can confirm that the diy uv curing methods are a way to do effective curing)
my issues are mainly down to the fact I have worked with my local council on projects with kids before with real good results - but health and safety issues are my main concern if i were to be doing this sort of thing with youngsters later on. I'm hearing that shiny glossy tees will probably not be doable this way however my supplier sticker (on the box of the screens i dug out) has all these things under the water based category - your thoughts?
http://www.screencoloursystems.co.uk/textileink.html

Rather alot to ask first time on here and perhaps I should of broken it down, but I figured they could be too smaller question on there own (apart from q3)
dawzilla
Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:18 pm Reply with quote
looking at all the past answers based on shit like this I think I ought to just have a go and moan about the mess or rave about the results

2 of my 3 questions are just pure confusing to me let alone others so I can see why I haven't got an answer haha

but if anyone has any advice for water based t-shirt printing (materials squeegees to use and mesh etc) that would be great.

I feel like im fighting a loosing battle but I'm the sort of person to keep on fighting even when im limbless with my face in the gravel. haha

Page 1 of 1