SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SCREEN PRINTING  »  Help! Problems covering up old prints! Anyone do this?
Page 1 of 1    

Help! Problems covering up old prints! Anyone do this?

masonmayhem
Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Oct 2004 Posts: 1376 Location: Redneck Riviera, AB
This isn't skate related...more like hockey related.

I haven't had this problem before and i've printed a lot of hockey jerseys. This is new and frustrating.

I print for this local hockey association. Instead of buying new jerseys, they get me to cover up the old sponsor name (with a big rectangle of ink) then print a new sponsor over top. The problem is lately they've been washing out. My conveyor dryer is working fine. Most times i'll put the jerseys through the dryer at least 2 times, inside and out to make sure the ink is cured.

I did search a forum and found this:

"I think the flash is to hot or dwell time is to long. The second hit after flash wont bond to cured Plastisol it needs to be just jelled."

That could possibly be my problem. Ink patch won't bond to the sponsor name i'm covering up.

But I was wondering...if they washed the jerseys and used fabric softener (by the feel and smell, it seems like a lot of liquid fabric softener) AND THEN I printed on them, would that aid in the ink washing off of the jersey?

Customer came in and said that we've done cover ups on prints before and they haven't washed out. I'm confused. Why does it wash out now and not then? We've been using the same brand of ink for years.

My boss is gonna yell at me unless I find a solution to this problem.

Should I add some nylon bonding agent to the ink? Is there anything I can possibly do to rectify this?

They want these jerseys back in a few days. The only thing I can really think to do is repeat the same thing I've already done. But that means the next time they wash them, the ink will wash out and flake off.

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 Sep 2005 Posts: 406 Location: kalamazoo-michigan
I hav'nt done any hockey jerzees but i do print used goodwill shirts for some bands around here. Seems the shirts that have fabric softener in them burn off a shitton of crap going thru the dryer(which makes my shop smell like a laundry for days). I have a few sorta wash out once in awhile, but them kids sorta like the vintage look.

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:12 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
is it plastisol that you are covering up or vinyl stick on lettering?

yes, it could be that you are flashing too long or even not curing long enough.

describe the "washing out" . cracking off or actually dissolving and washing away. are there remnants of your print leftover?

what is the material make up of the garment? ever use a "sports adhesive" additive? similar to nylo-bond.

~nostalgia is the wave of the future~
masonmayhem
Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:01 pm Reply with quote
the conclusion i came to was it was washing out due to the fact that plastisol won't bond to cured plastisol. something i didn't know at that point but makes sense now.

the only remnants of my print left over was the ink that was actually touching fabric. the rest that was covering the old print completely washed away.

the jerseys were 100% polyester. i don't have a sports adhesive...i do have a nylon bonding additive but didn't use it in this case.

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
a good alternative if you have the resources would be to cover up all the old stuff with your print , as you have done. then if you have access to a heat press machine and some vinyl lettering throw those on top. they will easily bond and not wash away. just really sink them down into the garment and melt them in. and don't forget your teflon...

masonmayhem
Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:18 pm Reply with quote
never thought of that one. we were trying to cover up old sponsors and put new sponsors over it. what we ended up doing was cutting a bunch of rectangles of fabric to cover the sponsor, then we printed the fabric with the new sponsors name and sewed it on. ended up looking nice but it's quite a process.

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:49 pm Reply with quote
i can imagine, but i am sure they looked pro being stitched on.

that could be way easier with an embroidery machine.

Page 1 of 1