SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  FREESTYLE  »  Beginner Freestyle
Page 1 of 1    

Beginner Freestyle

slavadov
Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I've been wanting to get into freestyle for a few years now, but haven't really pursued it at all, apart from a little dialogue with Keith Butterfield on another site shortly after his sk8kings board came out. So, I've been kinda poking around and looking for something cheap to try out some freestyle with. I've already got some Indy 126's and some Abec11 NoSkoolz, but I'm told the combination might be a little too wide for most freestyle decks. I did see a recommendation for Indy 126's on the Gary Holl Sk8kings deck (from the man himself) in a thread here, but I was wondering if there were any specific brands of decks suited for a newbie. I know sk8kings has a bunch, and I've heard great things about decomposed and a few other brands, but I really have no idea what to look for in a freestyle deck.

willymaze20five
Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:06 am Reply with quote
garys new model is not ur average fs shape...its more of a hybrid
garys older pro model has the more traditional shape

ace makes the 00's and depending on what kinda tricks u wanna learn the wheels will also vary

but for the most part go with a sk8 kings wheels or kevin harris has a pro model wheel coming out for momentum it has the same profile as the original oj freestyles ( they look sick)

http://willymaze20five.webs.com/
slavadov
Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:05 am Reply with quote
willymaze20five wrote:
garys new model is not ur average fs shape...its more of a hybrid
garys older pro model has the more traditional shape

ace makes the 00's and depending on what kinda tricks u wanna learn the wheels will also vary

but for the most part go with a sk8 kings wheels or kevin harris has a pro model wheel coming out for momentum it has the same profile as the original oj freestyles ( they look sick)

I've been eyeballing the sk8kings completes...Are there any that are inherently bad or anything?

willymaze20five
Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:42 am Reply with quote
nothing wrong at all

me personally i like to use the parts i want as apposed to the parts they choose

http://willymaze20five.webs.com/
slavadov
Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:50 am Reply with quote
willymaze20five wrote:
nothing wrong at all

me personally i like to use the parts i want as apposed to the parts they choose

Well, I ordered a Capital deck from jmusselman, so I'm trying to pick out my own complete now. I like the shape of those Kevin Harris wheels, actually. I am open to other options, although I'll most likely order trucks and wheels from the same website. I'm also curious about using Abec11 Noskoolz, because I have a spare set that I ain't using at the moment.

But what about trucks? Indys are mostly out of the question, unless I can track down some 110's or 99's for cheap...Ace, Tracker, and Bennett are the biggest three I can think of with a 4" wide hanger; although Royal does make some 4" trucks, but I can't find any other modern truck company with small trucks. I'm normally a Tracker guy, but I could be easily swayed if another brand was easier to learn freestyle on.

yoyo
Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:42 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
slavadov wrote:
willymaze20five wrote:
nothing wrong at all

Well, I ordered a Capital deck from jmusselman, so I'm trying to pick out my own complete now. I like the shape of those Kevin Harris wheels, actually. I am open to other options, although I'll most likely order trucks and wheels from the same website. I'm also curious about using Abec11 Noskoolz, because I have a spare set that I ain't using at the moment.

But what about trucks? Indys are mostly out of the question, unless I can track down some 110's or 99's for cheap...Ace, Tracker, and Bennett are the biggest three I can think of with a 4" wide hanger; although Royal does make some 4" trucks, but I can't find any other modern truck company with small trucks. I'm normally a Tracker guy, but I could be easily swayed if another brand was easier to learn freestyle on.

Check with Witter at http://www.decomposedsk8.com/
He has ALL the gooddies in stock; like the new, imported, Harris wheels. The Witter's Ghosts 2 are made in Germany and are realling long lasting wheels. Whereas the sk8kings wheels wear down really fast, I tested them (the 98A Crown Jewels).
The Harris wheels were reimported from Japan as far I as I know!
Krux Downlows and Grind Kings 4.25 are also an option for trucks.
Lots of stuff to chose from I know, but way better than back in 2000!
rorshok
Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:42 am Reply with quote
What YoYo said X2

I have a setup I got from Decomposed back in March. Fast shipping, quality products. Never been happier.

Now, If I can just remember all of my old tricks

Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:19 pm Reply with quote
rorshok wrote:
What YoYo said X2

I have a setup I got from Decomposed back in March. Fast shipping, quality products. Never been happier.

Now, If I can just remember all of my old tricks

Witter's on here as well, just signed up the other day.
I've been working together with him for years and honestly this guy rocks big time!!
slavadov
Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Alright, last question...Is it better to have stiffer bushings or softer bushings on a freestyle setup?

yoyo
Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quote
slavadov wrote:
Alright, last question...Is it better to have stiffer bushings or softer bushings on a freestyle setup?

As usual, this depends on your riding style.
But: I'd say most Freestylers use the hardest bushings they can find.
Tight trucks:More precise board control, but less error forgiving.
Modern Freestyle boards do not turn, whereas the 70's surf style was the complete opposide.
I just can't skate Freestyle with lose trucks, but it's a must for my ramp setup for example.

Page 1 of 1