SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SKATEBOARD/PARK ADVOCACY  »  New Skatepark Announced - Good News Pittsburgh/Carnegie
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

New Skatepark Announced - Good News Pittsburgh/Carnegie

Buddur
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Aug 2012 Posts: 1095 Location: Western Pennsylvania
Carnegie to be home of memorial skate park
By Carole Brown
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/neighborhoods-west/carnegie-to-be-home-of-memorial-skate-park-650253/

The Pitcher Park Memorial Skatepark will be built on gently-sloping terrain near the main picnic grove at Carnegie Park on Forsythe Road in Carnegie.

More than 50 persons of all ages -- some with skateboards and BMX bikes -- applauded this evening as Mary Shea Pitcher and her family unveiled a gold-and-black sign that announced the site as the future home of the long-awaited $600,000 skate park.

"I'm so happy we found a home," a clearly delighted Mrs. Pitcher told the crowd.

The skate park will be a memorial to Vincent and Stephen Pitcher, who drowned in the Kinzua Dam in 2008 at ages 21 and 19. Their brothers, Jonathan and Brady, were at the unveiling ceremony, too.

Mrs. Pitcher originally proposed the skate park memorial for Dormont, but that borough rejected it earlier this year. She then turned to Carnegie, Mt. Lebanon and Scott. Though all three communities expressed interest, Mrs. Pitcher and the skate park designer, Grindline Skateparks of Seattle, were drawn to Carnegie, which offered half a dozen prospective locations in its rambling park.

The Ken and Carol Schultz Family Foundation of Arizona is donating 85 percent of the approximately $600,000 needed to build the skate park. The remaining 15 percent must be raised locally.

"We're going to have fun fundraisers," Mrs. Pitcher promised.

Those attending the ceremony were given white Pitcher Park tee-shirts with blue skate board logos. The logo was designed by Joseph Gillen, 21, of Mt. Lebanon, a graphics arts major at Rochester Institute of Technology.

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Awesome!
Are their any designs/blueprints?
Buddur
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Gridline sure has built some fine parks, over 150 of them it looks like.
http://www.grindline.com/default.aspx

Hope they build one better than the plans laid out on this page when it was to be built in Dormont. Of course, it may be better than that overhead view depicts.
http://www.pitcherpark.com/news.html

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:18 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 31 Aug 2001 Posts: 3923 Location: Western Pennsylvania
Nice! I thought this was going to be about that skate plaza in Dormont.

They are building on to Peach Park in Greensburg. It's getting a snake run!

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:32 pm Reply with quote
get outta my section.. hahah..

http://www.skullandbonesskateboards.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=34

~nostalgia is the wave of the future~
Buddur
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Kirbs on the ball. I was wondering when someone would call out this wrong section post. I saw Press Release and posted this here, only to read afterward this section is for skate companies. Oh well! Have a drink on me, bro.

Apparently, this park was going to be in Dormont but was shot down, so they looked at other locations and settled with Carnegie.

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Buddur wrote:
Kirbs on the ball. I was wondering when someone would call out this wrong section post. I saw Press Release and posted this here, only to read afterward this section is for skate companies. Oh well! Have a drink on me, bro.

Apparently, this park was going to be in Dormont but was shot down, so they looked at other locations and settled with Carnegie.

you can send either jack or crown... and i take paypal.

~nostalgia is the wave of the future~
Buddur
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:01 pm Reply with quote
kirb-slider wrote:

you can send either jack or crown... and i take paypal.

I'm swillin' Knob Creek. How bout I drink one for ya and tell ya how much of a buzz I'm catching?

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:42 pm Reply with quote
This park design looks great and so does the addition they put on peach. I want to get out to skate it before winter.
honkey
Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:28 pm Reply with quote
stivason wrote:
It's getting a snake run!

Awesome! Those were my favorite spots at the parks in the seventies, usually ending in a huge bowl... but usually with noping

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next