SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SCREEN PRINTING  »  Sublimated questions...
Page 1 of 1    

Sublimated questions...

Sk8kid83
Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know exactly what sublimated heat transfers are, and if it can be done by someone who is working out of a home shop? I am interested in started printing on boards, but I have heard alot about sublimation, but I still don't know what exactly it is...

[ This Message was edited by: Sk8kid83 on 2003-09-30 13:15 ]
Steven
Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 4:20 am Reply with quote
Hi

Most major skateboard manufacturers use sublimation to apply graphics to their boards. This procedure is a lot easier than traditional screen printing. You use a pecial sheet of transfer paper that is printed on with sublimation ink, The paper is the same size as a board, The board, with the transfer paper on top is placed in a heat transfer press, the graphic sticks to the board and the back of the transfer paper just peels off. It's very quick and easy, you do not have to worry about different screens for different colors or spiling ink. The only disadvantage is that the heat press is very expensive and has to be custom-made.
Check the internet for geo knight presses
Stranglehold77
Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:56 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 10 Apr 2002 Posts: 5437 Location: Victoria BC CANADA
Yeah, I've never heard of anyone doing sublimation at home. Too much $$$ involved.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sk8kid83
Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:56 am Reply with quote
I was just doing some checking online for te geo knight presses, I found the actual geo knight web site, but I am confused as to what exact type of press I would need, they make a whole line of presses, some for as cheap as $300, but I don't know if that would work. I also wondered if you knew whether or not most companies are transfering their graphics before pressing, or after?
http://www.heatpress.com/
This is where I found the presses.
livi-skater
Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:05 am Reply with quote
I'm no expert but im pretty sure they are heat presses like the web address says. They are used for doing heat tansfers to clothing not pressing 2000psi on wood.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Steven
Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, the press you need for skateboards is the most expensive one on the geo knight website, plus, i think it has to be customized, i'm not sure however, I do know that several bigger companies use this type of machine, e.g. Madrid skateboards.
I think decks are presed first, then graphics are pressed onto the board.
XTBUGFIEND
Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 16 Sep 2014 Posts: 2 Location: Perth, Western Australia
Hey guys. I tried to put a sublimation print on a deck using a heat press at home which had a flat heat platen.
BAD out come.
With the board remaining stationary and heat and pressure applied, the glue softened and the board delamed and split.
The big ones companies use have heated rollers that the board goes forward and back thru.
Don't try this at home, trust me, I've done it so you don't have to
oneendone
Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:23 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL

Wanted: Nos white dip Santa Cruz Special Edition Mechanical Fish

Page 1 of 1