SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SKATEBOARD ART  »  Removing heat transfer graphics
Page 1 of 1    

Removing heat transfer graphics

Ron Dalvin
Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:48 am Reply with quote
Any idea how to remove a heat transfer without damaging the deck? I've used rubbing alcohol to remove painted graphics and it worked very well, but it seems like sanding would be the only way to remove a heat transfer. If it's a stained deck with heat transfer on top, I wonder if sanding would hurt the stain. Let me know if you have any ideas besides sanding.
slob-air
Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:40 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
It depends. Heat Transfer means a number of things. It can mean transferring a medium that holds the graphic onto the deck and sublimating it to the wood with heat or it can be transferring ink from a plastic medium to the deck. The prior has a fairly large variety of mediums that are used from micro thin sheets to heavy transfers—so there's no easy answer.

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:15 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
I regularly remove heat transfers from my boards by doing rock and rolls and nose and tail slides. Works like a charm:)
AntiTarheel
Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:03 am Reply with quote
I just today watched a video on heat transfers on ride channel at NHS called like NHS factory tour.... according to that guy heat transfers are just a way of Application of paint to a deck. It was interesting
https://youtu.be/ui1ZH6keYQM

Matthyssen Spirt Warrior
Montesi Rough Neighborhood
Hendrix Teenaged Wasteland
Ron Dalvin
Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:53 am Reply with quote
So it's actually "ink" and not paint. I guess paint thinner is out of the question then.
HRJoe
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:23 am Reply with quote
Ron Dalvin wrote:
So it's actually "ink" and not paint. I guess paint thinner is out of the question then.

Lacquer thinner takes them right off, actually.

slob-air
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:16 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
AntiTarheel wrote:
I just today watched a video on heat transfers on ride channel at NHS called like NHS factory tour.... according to that guy heat transfers are just a way of Application of paint to a deck. It was interesting
https://youtu.be/ui1ZH6keYQM

That's one type of transfer and the rarer of the types out there—most transfer part of the film with the graphic—the graphic is on the film and the film is adhered to the wood.

Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Ron Dalvin wrote:
Any idea how to remove a heat transfer without damaging the deck? I've used rubbing alcohol to remove painted graphics and it worked very well, but it seems like sanding would be the only way to remove a heat transfer. If it's a stained deck with heat transfer on top, I wonder if sanding would hurt the stain. Let me know if you have any ideas besides sanding.

Depends on the transfer, some will wipe right off with rubbing alcohol.

Most stained decks, the entire ply is soaked in a dye before glue, so the color is not going to sand off. Powell might not do colored plys like that anymore, I forget.
Ron Dalvin
Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:32 am Reply with quote
Deck arrived today: Anti Hero Grosso. Rubbing alcohol took off the graphics, but it was a chore and required a lot of rubbing and a lot of alcohol. There's a section above the graphics area that only has clear coat. Alcohol had no effect on the clear coat, so I used nail polish remover and it took it off with ease. It worked so quickly and efficiently I imagine it would have worked better on the graphics than alcohol did.

I then used alcohol to clean off the oily residue left by the nail polish remover and sprayed on some clear coat. It's a black stain and the wood grain looks great on it's own, so I'm leaving the deck blank.

Page 1 of 1