SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM  »  IKS and other vintage bearings
Page 1 of 1    

IKS and other vintage bearings

70sSkater
Posted: Mon May 10, 2004 12:18 am Reply with quote
Is it possible to restore vintage bearings? I seem to remember reading a Skateboarder Mag article back in the 70s that gave a step by step for repacking bearings. Would the seals get wasted in such a procedure? Does anyone know what tools are needed, grease to use, etc.? And here's a dumb question. I remember removing bearings by prying them out with the threaded end of the trucks. Is there a better way to remove the bearings from the wheels? Thanks.
The Boneless-one
Posted: Wed May 12, 2004 7:02 am Reply with quote
My opinion is that a bearing will last if you use spacers. If you have a set of used "vintage" bearings i wouldn't go thru the trouble of restoring them, maybe just cleaning but that's it. However if you have a unused set of vintages just keep them the way they are and don't ride them.
70sSkater
Posted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply. I was at my local skate shop today and the guy there had the same opinion. I brought in an old Road Rider 2 wheel with practically seized bearings. The guy thought I was holding a roller skate wheel and told me he didn't have any bearings for it. I finally convinced him it was indeed a skateboard wheel. Anyway, he told me just to buy new bearings. But stubborn nostalgic fool that I am, I want to try cleaning and greasing a set of these old bearings and see if they will work. I did find a bearing cleaning kit from Pleasure Tool Bearings that looks like it may work well. I may give it a try on some of these old bearings that are otherwise useless and see what happens. Also, for anyone interested, I found that Bones has a decent website on bearing maintenance, http://bonesbearings.com/main_maintenance.html.
Eggman-stepford13
Posted: Fri May 14, 2004 3:35 am Reply with quote
Keep an eye out.You see bearings once in awhile.I got a shitload of NMB bearings a couple of months ago.Now,the website doesn't sell them anymore.Either I bought them all,or they realized old fucks like me do not want to deal with maintaining bearings.These Powell bearings are nice and fast,but I don't want to work on them,tinkering like some dimented freak.I don't ever remember a bearing seizing on me while riding.Maybe I was a pussy,I must stop now,I'm DIZZY...

Egg
holyghost
Posted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I do clean old bearings. You wanna get all the crap out in paint thinner and either an ultrasonic cleaner, or my method, a coffee can with a piece of screen that keeps the bearings off the bottom. After all the shit has rinsed out and you can spin them, get em on a soft wire wheels to clean them thoroughly (obviously only on silver shielded bearings).

They should be unseized and clean, but there will be metal to metal inside. I squirt them with speed cream till they spin quiet again. It ain't grease packed anymore but they will be fresh, depending on their previous use. Removing shields doesn't seem like a good idea. I have heard of repcking bearings on roller skates, but they have open backs. And roller skaters don't exactly hit the kind of terrain boarders do so it's a different bearing for a different game.
dangersticks
Posted: Wed May 19, 2004 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 17 May 2003 Posts: 1594 Location: Bombora's, California
I brought a set of old Hoover-IKS bearings back for my old SC 5-Ply (Bennetts, RR2's) with my ultrasonic cleaner, mineral spirits, isopropyl alcohol, and a hair dryer.

I could not believe how much junk came out those 8 little bearings.

The Coby ultrasonic cleaner all over eBay works well - you just have to leave the lid open, and cycle the cleaner through about 15 3-minute cycles.

Page 1 of 1