SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  VIDEO & IMAGES  »  29 Degrees
Page 1 of 1    

29 Degrees

gheepup
Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:48 am Reply with quote
Its been cold and dry here in Western Washington for a few days. Not Driggs, Idaho cold but on the cold side for around here. Yesterday it was 29 degrees out when we decided see if the bowl was skateable. i put my Dr. Scholl's in my Chuck Taylor's and wool socks on. Off we went to check it out.

We arrived to find the bowl dry with some frozen puddles in the expected spots.

Some fir needles and cones needed to be cleaned up but the ice was solid and smooth.

My son had a little fun testing the ice on his kneepads.

Half an hour of sweeping and disposing of the debris and the bowl was ready to skate. I was curious to see how the Black Rains would work in the cold.

I also brought the reconstructed board with the OJ Street Juices and bearings from the wet session a couple weeks ago. I worked some magic on the sealed bearings right after the wet session and they seemed good to go for a cold session.

First I tested the solid waters with the soft wheels. Ice is smooth and fast! Don't turn on it though.

I spent most of the session working on my lines in the shallow end of the pool, attempting to link the lines together and worked in a few carve grinds. Mostly I would start with the slower soft wheels and then switch to the faster board. Kind of like swinging a weighted bat on deck before stepping up to the plate.

The Black Rains had plenty of grip in the cold.

All in all, skating when its 29 degrees with some ice puddles is better than skating in the wet. Some light snow flakes fell but not enough to stick or get pics of. Thermals and wool socks kept me plenty warm. I even worked up a sweat. The biggest drawback was my eyes would start to water the faster I went. Ski goggles would have been nice.
gheepup
Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:48 am Reply with quote
Today I went back by myself. I was jonesing to try a bigger line that I saw someone run yesterday just before we left. I also decided to bring out one of my Lester's for fun.

It was above freezing and the ice was just starting to melt so I only spent a little warm up time in the shallow end today before trying to work out the line in the deep end. I wasn't going to break out the camera today but as I got comfortable with the bigger line I wanted to see how high on the walls I was getting.

I decided to drop in off the end of this peninsula and pump down the first waterfall. I could also drop in off the side where its a little deeper and run the same line.

Here is the set up and over this little hip...there is much more potential here for pumping a lot higher over this hip/corner. Heading for the wall where the board is pointing.

BS turn off that wall into the deepest end of the pool.

Eventually got one wheel on the coping. I'm not sure if it was on this turn but got it once on the Lester and a couple times on the Black Rains when I wasn't filming.

Down into the deep end for either a FS or BS carve through the opposite curved wall. I still need to work on keeping my front wheels down while carving.

Today was easily the highest I have ever been in the deep end of this pool or anywhere on a skateboard actually. Eventually I will be grinding the coping in the deep end and figure out where to go from there and how to get back up to the shallow end. I'm stoked with my progress on this cold but warmer winter day.
warehouse
Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:35 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
You should invest in a torch for drying that bowl out. Look for a roofers torch, they work best
slob-air
Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
warehouse wrote:
You should invest in a torch for drying that bowl out. Look for a roofers torch, they work best

Tiger torches work well, but torching in general is not good for the concrete.

Page 1 of 1