SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  FREESTYLE  »  Freestyle deck conversion
Page 1 of 1    

Freestyle deck conversion

InDex26
Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Hi there,
I'm looking for something to do with my spare time so I figured I'd posit a request for aid from those of you here.
I'm new to the skateboard realm, but I like working with my hands. I have a spare 7.25" x 30" Element popsicle which I
picked up at goodwill and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on converting it to a squared off freestyle deck.
The nose and tail are ground down/chipped quite a bit from learning how to utilize a double kick, spin, manual, etc. and screwing up,
a lot.

I know the time involved is probably more than it's worth, I'm just looking for something to do.
My plan was to sand down the skidded out areas flat across (rounding out the corners, obviously. I mean,
I'm stupid, but I'm smart enough to know I like having non-perforated shins.)
After that it's a matter of drilling for a slightly smaller wheelbase, putting in some wood-screws and adding some nose and tail skids.
Does this seem right, or am I missing something completely?

Newbie bashing is welcome, if merited. Like I said, I'm new and I have yet to be abused.
Buddur
Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Aug 2012 Posts: 1095 Location: Western Pennsylvania
Do it up man. Sounds like the board is already pretty worn, but heck, there's nothing like keeping a deck going long after its time is up.

The old bolt holes may make the board weak in those areas, but the stress depends on the tricks you're doing. Don't let that stop you.

Get the tall and nose edges sanded, shaped, and good to go, then do the bolt hole pattern, then sides to match your trucks. Look at pics of freestyle decks to see how the sides curve and maybe try to make a template to trace. At first, leave more meat on the sides than you think so you can whittle them down to taste after riding and doing rail moves.

Be sure to post some pics when you're done.

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Thanks man,
I work the weekends, so once Monday rolls around I'll get myself started. Have yourself a good one.
slavadov
Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I posted this question on the Skaters Cafe freestyle board and was discouraged from doing so. Basically, for the time and effort involved, it's not worth it when you can pay $20 for a proper freestyle deck on eBay. Not to mention the nose and tail angles; they're shallower on a freestyle board, which can mess up your tricks.

I'm still curious about it though, as I've got a couple spare popsicle sticks that I'm not using, and a template of one of Rodney Mullen's Powell boards...it wouldn't be too hard to transfer the template onto a modern street deck using the rear truck as a beginning point.

jwd
Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:37 am Reply with quote
Move the rear trucks forward a tad from the bolt holes (or use the popsicle nose as a tail if it's shallower), measure about 12.5 for wheelbase, draw tail/nose to 5.5" old school (5.85" new school), and get the saw out.

I cut out all my freestyle decks.
InDex26
Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Deck turned out to be in worse condition than I thought, separation had occurred already and
no thank you on riding something less than 24", my size 14 clown feet would have a little trouble
maneuvering that quickly. Anyway, I'm going to upgrade my apparatus (aka get a better saw,
that was a workout in and of itself) and figure out skateboards a bit more before I try it again,
next time I trash a deck, I'll give it a shot again.

Page 1 of 1