SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  MUSICIANS CORNER  »  anyone here play bass guitar?
Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2

anyone here play bass guitar?

InDex26
Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:34 pm Reply with quote
If you are looking to dip your toes into the distortions/overdrives, the tube screamer is great, but, for me,
it's magic is pushing an already effected signal as brokenorderband said, I know some people will run two
or three in a row to get some truly messed up sounds. My recommendation would be the Pigtronix Aria,
that pedal has got true versatility to it. And it's Pigtronix, who are awesomely out of Brooklyn.

I run a Z-vex (also Brooklyn, I think) Box of rock for the classic distortion/overdrive sounds, but I got it for
free so I don't know how it is from a pricing stand point. Another great pedal if you want to get some seri-
ously disgusting tones is the Bass Bit Fuzz from FX Doctor over in Boston, it will rip your signal to shreds.
He makes some bizarre pedals, the one I have is just freaking ridiculous, true quality insanity.
My other go to company (but I've never used any of their gain based stuff) is Empress in Ottawa, pure class with those guys.

For bass amps, I got to play out of a Genz Benz once (I think it was a Shuttle Max), from what I hear they
are out of production, but if you can get your hands on one of them, golly. It was one of the nicest sounding
things I'll have ever had the chance to play through.

It's some sort of crazy mutant hybrid tube/solid-state alien techthingamanolomajiggy.
Anyway, the answer to your question is: I recommend the Aria or the Box of Rock. Sorry to get so long winded, eh?
slavadov
Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:30 am Reply with quote
I didn't post the bass I was asking about upthread:

Nothin' special, just an Ibanez GSR100 or something (I disremember the specific name). I sold a bunch of old skate decks to a guy and used the proceeds to buy the bass...Years ago, I thought I'd be into collecting skate decks and hanging 'em on the walls, but life hasn't allowed that, so I had a few boxes of decks that had been moved to 3 different houses. It was time to let 'em go.

I still haven't gotten around to buying an amp, though the Roland bass amp mentioned earlier is on the top of my list. I've been playing it primarily plugged into my PS3 with the Rocksmith game/software. All of my experience from playing tuba in the 7th grade band came flooding back

One thing I'd like to look into is hot-rodding this guitar a little. Are there any good areas to start in? It came with a good setup and brand new strings, but beyond that, I'd typically start with a new wiring setup on my other guitars...first stop would be the input jack (though this one seems rock solid), then pots and capacitors, then maybe run some new wires. But, I read a little online about upgrading the bridge on this particular Ibanez, and I got some VERY good results on a Telecaster by swapping out the cheapo potmetal bridge with a slightly-less-cheap steel one from GFS.

Sticks
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Feb 2003 Posts: 10327 Location: Raytown Travel Agency
alldayphila wrote:
I found with bass, small things make a big change in tone. Amps, cabinets, pickups, strings, picks all make a big difference in how it sounds.

Definitely true. Must be because you're essentially playing a loud loud loud ass clean tone. Every little thing shows up.

For OD, I just run a regular-ass yellow Boss. I don't even mess w/the tube preamp OD on my SVT-III head. EQ for any losses in a particular frequency range.
charlieee
Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:57 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 08 Dec 2007 Posts: 1253 Location: Tootgarook.....Australia.
4 strings were 3 too many for me.

I run an acoustic Art Deco bush tub bass 1 stringer.
Bending the neck gives a great “BOWEEOOWWAAAHOO”.

slob-air
Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:03 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
That's crazy! I want it!! LOL!!

Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:21 am Reply with quote
You can do it.

🤓🤪............
charlieee
Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:06 am Reply with quote
When the neighbours have finished their pool party , I stick on my Rhino cap , run it through my Danelectro DADDY O to my amp and play the start to BF Six pack.....till I run out....and got nothing to do.

Last edited by charlieee on Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
charlieee
Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Haha ........the good old days before computers.

My daughter cracks up and laughs her head off at some of the things we used to have to do before computers.

Music especially.....such a shame so many kids just listen to computerised ‘artists’ and don’t go to gigs and get it live.

Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2