SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  HOT DISCUSSIONS  »  Brazilian Brand Licensed to Produce Santa Cruz Decks
Page 1 of 1    

Brazilian Brand Licensed to Produce Santa Cruz Decks

aRTSKT
Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:07 am Reply with quote
There is a brazilian brand called Drop Dead. Their decks are pretty good for the price, and probably are the best seller decks in Brazil.

And Drop Dead is licensed to produce Santa Cruz decks.

Well, brands outsource production is not new. But for a brand like Santa Cruz ousource their decks is strange, with clothes would it be all right.

Here you can check the Santa Cruz decks session at Drop Dead website.

https://www.dropfamily.com.br/produto/listar/112

My question is:

Do you know that Santa Cruz has licensed a brazilian brand to produce their decks?

Would you have interests in have a Santa Cruz by Drop Dead deck, to ride or as a collection piece?

I had a Santa Cruz Powerply model, the one with chess board graphics. One day one guy guy said my deck was made by Drop Dead. I ask the vendors about it but they not give properly information.

Anyway, it was a great deck to ride, lighter and with more pop than the stock Drop Dead. If Drop Dead could build a shape like that I guess that would be better their sell it with their own brand.

Here a picture ridind my Santa Cruz Powerply.

I also already had a lot of Drop Dead decks. Here you can check a picture of them.

Parker
Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:16 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 04 Feb 2014 Posts: 761 Location: Half a beat behind
I was given a drop dead deck a couple of years ago. Piece of crap. Felt brittle as fuck, delaminated tail in two weeks, stress cracks at the bolt holes shortly after. Gave it to a kid at the park.

Maybe I just got a dud.
slob-air
Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:23 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Brazil does not have any of the usual treaties required to ship product in and out of the country and to and from the US. They are not even part of the the Postal treaty that most UN countries.

This makes it far too problematic for Brands like Santa Cruz to ship their product in.

So most brands that sell in Brazil are licences from US brands and the manufacturing is done in country—be it skateboards, clothes or kitchen appliances.

Unfortunately, be it skateboard decks, trucks, wheels, shoes, they all tend to be of lower quality than the US product.

Brazil is also a major bootlegger. Tracker Trucks and Bennett truks are both made there—though no such deal has been made with the the US Brands. In the case of the Tracker being bootlegged, they even have a Tracker website set-up!!! Yet no licences to do so.

ACS trucks too. Not sure about Indy, Thunder or Ace.

I have not had the opportunity to try any of the trucks made there though I'd like to as they do very good foundry work in Brazil. I do have some cool Mad Rats shoes that look like Vans that a friend from Brazil brought me back.

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Compared to top brands Drop Deads are bad quality, but a lot of people ride them in Brazil, they recognize that there are better shapes, but say that is too expensive. Due tax, shipping and this things imported skate parts arrive here much expensive.

About the national trucks they are average quality. At skate parks I always used brazilian trucks from Crail and they are good, only one baseplate broken in many years. But I am assembling a new skate to skateparks and ordered some Independent Stage 11, it will be my first Indy's.

About bootlegs, I guess that most of then came from China or Paraguai and are not produced in Brazil. The situation of Brazil brands is more like the same factory producing the same low quality, cheap price products and changing brand names from time to time.

About brazilian Tracker, they are called Sixtrucks. but the name Tracker still appear in safety gear and shapes. I did not compare the trucks models to see if they are copies of the USA Tracker.

Here the website.
https://www.sixtrucks.com.br/

Page 1 of 1