SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  HOT DISCUSSIONS  »  Jason Jessee
Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jason Jessee

gilesyboy
Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:34 am Reply with quote
The nazi imagery surrounding aspects of NHS, VCJ, Independent, Dogtown etc. never sat right with me. I live in the UK and only really disturbed and thick individuals would associate with a swastika. An adult should be able to conceptualise why such imagery and opinions are abhorrent

I believe, like the Sex Pistols, Jessee used the imagery to cause a stir/uproar and make people feel uneasy. The problem is is that imagery attracts followers to the darker aspects. With time his immature opinions probably got indoctrinated into a much darker ideology. I doubt he would be relevant today had it not been for him getting the main part in Streets of Fire and being the recipient of a couple of timeless graphics, the neptune and sun god. He was not brilliant in that generation, a top ten finisher yes for a couple of years but did not have the consistency or innovation of his peers. He looked and acted the part well, and for 87-88 he was well marketed by NHS, as he still is. In interviews though he came across as highly impressionable and naive. That is fine as a teenager but it shocked me when I saw the Prey for Me documentary how somewhat lost he appeared. After seeing that I just pitied him. I do believe in general skateboarding makes you a well rounded person and most skaters mature into really fascinating adults with a great outlook on the world that has been forged by their interactions with their planks of wood on four wheels. Listen to Tommy Guerrero and Steve Olsen's nine club sessions as a casing point. Both are hilarious.
I don't follow him on instagram or anything like that. I am though surprised how much he pops up on NHS marketing though. However, whilst Powell have faces they can still use from that generation SC don't seem to have anyone else. Roskopp is big CEO, Kendall is back office, Grosso is Anti Hero, O'Brien I never hear about, Grabke, Natas do their own thing etc. Jessee really is the SC public link to the past.

My interpretation of some of the posts on Slap is there is a negative undercurrent that is finally surfacing about the old industry controllers (NHS, Thrasher, Independent Trucks, the Jay Adams/Dogtown legend, Jake Phelps). Jake Phelps, I was always concerned about the power this guy had. A lot of skaters have publicly said he can make or break careers and enjoyed playing God.

Posted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 01 Aug 2005 Posts: 224 Location: Portland Via Swansea
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/59q343/skateboarding-icon-jason-jessee-is-under-fire-for-use-of-swastikas-and-racist-remarks

Losing sponsors by the minute...
sonicdan
Posted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:13 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
maybe justified.

maybe another example of a witchhunt that illustrates the power of the mob on the net...

LONO
Posted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:58 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
sonicdan wrote:

maybe another example of a witchhunt that illustrates the power of the mob on the net...

Well said.

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 05 Sep 2003 Posts: 760 Location: 3 Feet Below the Coping
Looks like the Vice article (they did do a shit job on the history of the 900) is based on this:

https://youtu.be/VZfRX6IMPCA

Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2