SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  HOT DISCUSSIONS  »  Old bearings questions
Page 4 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Old bearings questions

simoncrank
Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:56 am Reply with quote
There's something really satisfying getting a jammed old set of bearings running smooth again...
slob-air
Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:03 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
simoncrank wrote:
There's something really satisfying getting a jammed old set of bearings running smooth again...

In some cases those old bearings are of a better quality than much of what is on the market marketed as ABEC 7 or ABEC 9.

The exception of course is Rockets and Bones Swiss which are the best bearings in the skate industry ever.

Old bearings cannot compete—though old NMB, GMN, Sims Racing, SKF were decent back in the day. And with the exception of NMB, which are still some of the best bearings out there and the platform for Rockets, some of those other brands aren't even the same company's, or the same factories nor even in the same countries nor the same quality.

I have a nice little collection of old bearings in some of my collection which is largely completes. It is interesting to look back on what we had back in the day.

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:11 am Reply with quote
I think back on building completes and the bearing choice: Cheap - NMB, good but affordable - GMN, unafordable for a kid - Swiss. Those were the options. I nearly always went with GMN, but occcassionaly got some NMBs. I have a couple sets of each from some completes that I have purchased and was a little surprised when I saw NMB on the side of my new Rockets.
slob-air
Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:33 am Reply with quote
distalradiusreduction wrote:
I think back on building completes and the bearing choice: Cheap - NMB, good but affordable - GMN, unafordable for a kid - Swiss. Those were the options. I nearly always went with GMN, but occcassionaly got some NMBs. I have a couple sets of each from some completes that I have purchased and was a little surprised when I saw NMB on the side of my new Rockets.

Sad thing is, NMB, GMN and Swiss were all better than 95% of the bearings marketed to skateboarders today.

I got whatever the local skate shop got in to stock. More often than not that was NMBs which were one of the best bearings available both then and now. And the shop made good money on NMBs because they did not have to deal with a brand and multiple distributors that all want their cut.

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:19 pm Reply with quote
http://pibsales.com/wp-content/upload...01/nmbcatalog.pdf
slob-air
Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:18 pm Reply with quote
gheepup wrote:
http://pibsales.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/nmbcatalog.pdf

And they still build the NMB bearings in California with high quality steel.

Page 4 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4