SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  HOT DISCUSSIONS  »  TWS 1983 - 2019
Page 1 of 1    

TWS 1983 - 2019

steve-g
Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:04 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
The new publishers of Transworld have halted publication after buying the mag only two weeks previously.

My part in the downfall of TWS: I was never a subscriber.

I really liked the mag in the late '80s. I think 1987 - 1989 were really great for TWS. Those mags have fantastic photography and layout. Looking at them compared to Thrasher at the time there is a big difference in production; more so in the late '90s when circulation must have been huge and funds were high - those mags are thicker than a modern laptop. I think TWS outsold Thrasher from the late '80s onward (just as Tracker outsold Indy throughout the '80s). Later I thought the mag sucked and I really thought it would go under when the main editorial team bailed to start the Skate Mag. But TWS outlived the Skate Mag - just. I bought a copy of TWS last year to get an interview with Thomas Campbell - I couldn't find a copy anywhere in Europe and had to mail order from the publisher. Circulation must have been very low by then.

I've read that Thrasher only stays in the black because kids love the flame hoodies.

Sad days for print skate media: Poweredge, Slap, Big Brother, Skateboarder (twice), the Skate Mag, TWS. In the UK (and all of Europe) there are no print skate mags on the high street. I guess the formula of promoting skateboarding through print is almost done. The idea that skate manufacturers could promote their products through a magazine they also owned was first used by Larry Stevenson in the 1960s, and again to a lesser extent with Poweredge but I'm not sure how close Makaha was to Poweredge. That is the model which TWS used and Thrasher still does. Not sure if any other sector uses this model.

Anyway, I've still got my late '80s TWS mags and they're still cool.
jwd
Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I also preferred Transworld to Thrasher in the 80s.
sonicdan
Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:34 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
modern times.

infos get portioned to bits and shared. quality infos and shit-quality infos. it's "all the same anyway". and it's got to be free.

shitty times.

SantaCruzDude
Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:14 am Reply with quote
Reminds me of that meme with the see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil monkeys sitting there.... but now there’s a 4th monkey that’s sitting there staring at a phone. The 4th monkey is so fucking distracted that it has the traits of all the other monkeys. It can’t focus on what’s going on around him... ignores everything, and doesn’t talk.... just sits on the phone. Lesson here!? We’re now a product of the internet age, and with everything online, we don’t care for magazines, just online subscriptions... and even then, we’d still rather just look at Instagram and Facekook posts and keep up with our favorite skaters and brands that way... Live and updated daily.

I too have a stash of 80s and 90s mags that will stay with me for the long haul. Good memories that I can always access.

Page 1 of 1