SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  TATTOOS  »  Some thoughts on shitty work...
Page 1 of 1    

Some thoughts on shitty work...

mac
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 11:50 am Reply with quote
Kinda a follow up to whats been said in the 'new tattoo artist' thread...

The more I look around, it isn't an exaggeration to say that 70-80% of the work I see is garbage. Seriously, bad shit is everywhere I look. And I guess the guys doing it stay in business because people are ignorant and/or cheap.

Then again - most of the people i see that have collections of bad work don't seem to hold themselves to very high standards, and therefore don't hold other people to high standards either.

I'm certainly no expert, I only have 2 pieces right now and a big 3rd one in the works, but I was lucky to have someone tell me at 18 that i better make sure that anyone putting ink on me should be able to show me that they are a decent artist. Illustration book, paintings on the shop walls... anything to prove they aren't just a hack that can lay shitty lines on top of a flash transfer.

I think the best thing anybody can do for their friends is give them the same advice. And the next time someone proudly shows you some garbage work, don't smile and say it looks good - hurt them with the truth, tell them its shit, and recommend someone better for their next one.

seth c
Posted: Sat May 22, 2004 9:21 am Reply with quote
well, as a tattooer, i really cant do that... people perceive advice like that, coming from a tattooer, to be jealous shit talking. i have to smile and say something like "yep, it's a tattoo" or, "yep, it DOES look like so and so did it"

although, if a person with absolute shit asks me- "whats the best thing to cover this tattoo"
i love to answer - "a sweater"
seth c
Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 12:11 am Reply with quote
mac.. have you gotten any work from josh hoffman or dave fox from old city tattoo?
brilliant tattooers.. funny as fuck too.
mac
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:18 am Reply with quote
I've met dave briefly, and I really admire his work... but, I can't think of any ideas that would be meaningful to me while also taking advantage of his style.
Its great that he's close by in case a flash of inspiration hits me someday. I know a few guys who have some work by him - and it definately stands out.

Now if only todd can get the art done for my arm...
nicnoyd
Posted: Tue May 25, 2004 6:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:

i love to answer - "a sweater"

BWAHAHAHAHAH!!! Man,you just made my Day!!

Page 1 of 1