SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM  »  Snow Tires
Page 1 of 1    

Snow Tires

Buddur
Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Aug 2012 Posts: 1095 Location: Western Pennsylvania
Bit the bullet today and ordered some snow tires. Been pricing them since last week when it took me over 4 hours to get home when it should've taken me 20 minutes. We got freezing rain...to snow...to 11F just as everyone was getting off work. Wrecks everywhere. The minivan performed like shit, but of course it was shitty out, but still. I'm use to driving a Subaru Forester but this summer the Ex bless her heart finally settled...she took the Subaru and I ended up with the 2012 Honda Odyssey minivan. I had snow tires for my Subaru and had all the confidence in that car in the winter, but damn all the sliding around that night last week in the minivan was nerve-racking.

Anywhoo...Got a set of Bridgestone Blazzak WS80s for ~$106 a piece all BS included. Was online during lunch and noticed a considerable price drop from yesterday on TireRack. That's such a kick ass deal not just for snow tires but any tire that size. Already sourced some steel wheels and TPMS sensors for the best prices...new wheels were $59 a piece from Summit Racing. Going to have everything done by a guy who does the tires on our work vehicles.

My other vehicle is a 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 and it's rear wheel drive only. I'll be damned if I spend much time driving that this winter.

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Had to take the subi to get the hi performance low profile rubber off and the winter rubber off the other day. Seemed like every fucker in front of jammed their brakes for no reason and if I left too much room someone would cut in—the summer rubber goes real hard in the cold and slides like plastic. It was like 1 heart attack after another!!

I run Hankook ATMs on the Jeep—they rock year round.

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I just picked up a set of Bridgestone Blazzak WS80s for my WRX.
billbux
Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:33 pm Reply with quote
It's hard to beat a dedicated snow tire.

I picked up a used Range Rover last winter(2009model year)

It's got a pretty decent 4x4 system.
But the tires were your average all around tire biased toward quieter ride.
First drive in snow, I practically got it stuck on my driveway.
The tires were just like hard plastic in the cold.

A week later I picked up some used wheels and got a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks and the difference was incredible.

Could not get it stuck or hardly break a tire loose.
Buddur
Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:05 am Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Aug 2012 Posts: 1095 Location: Western Pennsylvania
One Summer back in the day when I had my Subaru inspected they said I needed new tires to pass. I was relatively short on cash so I went to a salvage yard for cheap but good tires. Found a set of used Winter tires that still had alot of tread, and while there I asked about rims and they had a set of stock rims exactly like mine but in even better condition. I walked out of there with the tires and rims for less than $300. I put them on the car, took it in and it passed inspection...then took them off and ran the old tires till Winter. Even though the Sub was all wheel drive the winter tires performed dramatically better compared to previous winters. Saved my pennies and got new all season radials the next Spring. Winter tires do make all the difference.

Page 1 of 1