SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  HOT DISCUSSIONS  »  Vato Rat Wheel Recommendations
Page 1 of 1    

Vato Rat Wheel Recommendations

gheepup
Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:41 am Reply with quote
I am purchasing a Vato Rat reissue and setting it up for transition/bowl riding. It will get stage III or IV (I can't really tell the difference between the III or IV's) Indy 169's on most likely 1/4" risers. I need wheels for it.

The wheels need to be:
1) Offset (inset?) - modern center set wheels don't flush out with the edge of the board and just look wrong on a 30 x 10 round nose skateboard.
2) 97a to 99a - works well on the surfaces I skate.
3) 60mm or really close to it.
4) Wide contact patch. I prefer the smooth release and hook up of wider wheels when they slide. Plus, wider wheels just look good on this type of board.

There are a couple wheels that I know of that fit the bill but unfortunately are no longer in production.

Kryptonics Star Trac 60mm white w/ green core are 97a and would be perfect. Fast, grippy, don't flat spot and have a classic look. I have them on 2 other boards and love those wheels. Unfortunately, I am having a hard time finding any in stock anywhere. I would be open to a lightly used set.

BDS Mini Dubs 62mm Orange or Black Death are 97a and 99a respectively. Would probably need to add 1/8" riser and the wheels are center set. But, with the width they might be ok? DubCons are a bit bigger than what I am looking for but would work with 1/2" riser. Getting a used set of either might take a bit of patience. Shogo Dragons would be sick but they are too wide to go with the 169's and I don't have any stage III 149's sitting around.

Anyway, any wheel recommendations for this set up would be much appreciated. Thanks.
sonicdan
Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:41 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
So style and looks are a criteria as well, aren't they? Well, I can't blame you - I wouldn't like to see an early 80's deck set up with modern narrow wheels either. That's like driving a 60s Mustang with Toyota Yaris rims...

I was thinking of Powell mini-cubics reissues - but they're either in 64mm / 95a or 60mm / 90a. So they're either too large or too soft for your likings - right?
https://powell-peralta.com/skateboard-wheels/re-issues
I don't like their SPF type wheels, but the reissues seem ok to me.

Otherwise, Santa Cruz vomit balls might be a possibility - they come in 60mm/97a. Not 100% era-correct, but still close.

I might be wrong, but didn't most wheels from the Vato-era come in a softer durometer anyway? I just checked the Bones 3's - those were mostly 85a. (I'm open to corrections - I didn't skate in those times, at least not on pro-decks...)

Buddur
Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Aug 2012 Posts: 1095 Location: Western Pennsylvania
Look into Alva conicals.

Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Yes, BITD the Powell-Peralta Two's and Three's were soft and slow but smooth as butter at 85a. Mini-Cubics were much faster and at the time I loved those wheels. I have a set of Mini-Cubic reissues that I could throw on it but I have found that they feel a bit on the soft side of 95a. Rumor has it that PP has exaggerated the hardness of their reissue wheels. i do have a couple of used sets of OG Mini-Cubics or a set of used OG Rat Bones at 97a that I could slap on it but I would really like to put some new thane on the set up.

I am considering the Vomits and would probably jump on them if they weren't center set. I still might but would need to be convinced. Anyone have any feedback on the 60mm 97a Vomits.

The conical Alvas at 59mm and 101a are a possibility too. Anyone skated them?

Thanks for the input.
barnold99
Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Why not go with a new set of Rat Bone reissues? They seem to fit your criteria.

I haven't tried the Vomits, but I have a set of OJ II Team Rider reissues that are fun. They seem soft to me (97a), but I'm used to super hard Bones SPF. They aren't offset either.
gheepup
Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I am only able to currently find the Rat Bones in 85a or 90a. Too soft! Even if I were to find them in 95a that would be a Powell 95a which is still way too soft.

I put my Kryptonics reissues on it from another board and am riding it with those for now.

Got a used set of OG Sims 63's coming to put on the board I stole the Kryptonics from. Anyway, still looking for a set of new or lightly used Star-Tracs in white with green core which is the 97a duro.
warehouse
Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:49 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Modern hard on an OG shape is sooo over due
Husted
Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:49 am Reply with quote
Do you think there's enough demand out there for a few models based on this concept?

Page 1 of 1