SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  HOT DISCUSSIONS  »  New Conical Alvas
Page 1 of 1    

New Conical Alvas

gheepup
Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:08 am Reply with quote
I finally pulled the trigger and picked up some 101a 59mm Alva conicals. I set them up on my Deckcrafters Killdozer.

These wheels are only slightly inset when compared to the Kryptonics Star-Trac reissues that I had on this board previously. This yields an overall width of 10-1/4" on Indy 215's which is a bit narrower than the previous set up.

I am really liking the profile of these wheels with the radial outter edge and heavily conical inner edge.

I put some Bones Big Balls bearings in them because I like my Bones Swiss six balls but didn't want to spend that kind of coin. Plus, I wanted to see how the cheaper Big Balls compare to the more expensive Swiss version. I will have to see how they break in but the first thing I noticed is these Big Balls are super quiet.

I did manage to get this set up out for a little session at Port Orchard a couple of Saturdays ago. There was a week of dry weather but there was still moisture on the north facing transitions in the deep end of the bowl and at the entrance into the pipe. So, I was confined to the shallow end for a couple hours before the drizzle started and shut down the bowl.

I really liked these wheels. They are fast, grippy and get on and off the metal coping smoothly. They suit my style of carve and slash grinding transition skating.

I'm really looking forward to some dry and warmer weather so I can get these wheels out on the old pool coping in the Bainbridge Island bowl for a real test.
sonicdan
Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:55 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
gheepup wrote:
I'm really looking forward to some dry and warmer weather

CHEERS TO THAT!!

set-up is looking good!

Colin05
Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Jan 2013 Posts: 3666 Location: Sydney, Australia
Sweet set-up!

slob-air
Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:16 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Those wheels look cool.

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:43 am Reply with quote
They look nice. I wish hey made them in a slightly bigger size, like 63mm.
gheepup
Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Yes, a bigger size option would be nice. My guess is that the demand for 63mm conical wheels is just not enough for Alva to make money on them.

I have to admit it took me a long time to pull the trigger on these wheels for a couple reasons. One of which is the size. I would prefer a 60mm wheel but I finally decided that 1mm shouldn't kill the deal. Another was color options. I would have preferred red or white because I wanted to put them on my dark blue Vato Rat reissue. They only make red and white in the 88a duro which is way too soft for my needs. I settled on the 101a in tangerine because it works on the Deckcrafters Killdozer. The other 101a colors don't work at all with any of my boards.

Page 1 of 1