SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  B.O.N.O.S.A.  »  SIMS Superply NOS or FAKE?
Page 1 of 1    

SIMS Superply NOS or FAKE?

Tom-tx
Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Hi Guys,

This is my first post on the forum so bare with me. I have been looking all over the internet to get an answer to my question. I hope you guys can help me.

Is this an original NOS sims board and can somebody give me a little bit more information (appears to have a later sims wing logo -> late 70's) on this board? there is "Sims Superply" written on it with a pencil over the logo. This board does not look like any of the superply's I have found online.

The trucks are Reissues tracker trucks (Fultracks) and the wheels are powerflex 5's

The only other examples I have found were either on Ebay and on Sk8supply -> undrilled and no wheel wells

https://imgur.com/zO9l2DF

I have been reading online on counterfeit sims board (mainly Woodkick & Taperkick) and the so-called warehouse filled with nos boards... Is this true?

http://www.artofskateboarding.com/PG/...pg_fakes_sims.asp

Thank you in advance!
Buddur
Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Aug 2012 Posts: 1095 Location: Western Pennsylvania
All those old models including Superlight, Taperkick, and Woodkick were labeled as such. My gut says no, not a Superply. I trust my gut...but you don't have to.

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Looks like a fake. The logo is off and like Budder said, the models were clearly marked.

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:24 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
After thinking about this, this deck is a sims but came out after Tom Sims sold the rights to the name to finance his snowboard development. I recall this version of the Sims wing logo coming out around not long before Tom passed away. His passing was followed by a much better release of old style sims decks.

The pencil around the wheel wells and other shit makes it appear fake.

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:24 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 08 Dec 2007 Posts: 1253 Location: Tootgarook.....Australia.
Just seems to clean.
For a 40+ year old skateboard it seems too crisp.
We’re is the wear?

Remanent's of age , Sticky finger marks and grubby shit aren’t in the groove of the timber grain.

I dunno anything though.

I like to gamble.

I’d only put 1 dollar on the table if the bet was 2:1 it’s OG.
Tom-tx
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:29 am Reply with quote
here's some of the information I got from the SIMS Facebook group run by Michael Hess:

Quotes in the group:

"sk8supply had a pretty big stock of NOS boards, and this is one they had listed. (May still have it) . The wheel wells are definitely correct. Looks like a Superply shape. Considering the source, I'd say yes it's a Sims. It may have been a blank that was screened later. Id say it's a collector, not a rider."

"the "street sticks" were rescreened Lonnie Tofts (or SP's).
Remember from early 78 to mid 79 boards were changing shape and size every month. And those early Sims plys were some of the first "production" boards. Id guess there were a bunch sitting there that needed to be retagged and sold as something different. Back then it was last-years-model...but now it's a vintage 70s deck."

The consensus seems to be: yes period board, screened with logo on later date (probably late 70's -> beginning 80's) but never hit the shelves > stored in warehouse, hence the light scuff marks and no other damage..

What do you guys think?

Page 1 of 1