SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SKARFING MATERIAL  »  Espresso steak
Page 1 of 1    

Espresso steak

slyde
Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Use ground espresso with salt and pepper as a rub, then grill.

I served it with a demi glace with cream flavored with cocoa and dried peppers.

I called it mocha steak.

Doesn't sound like it would work, but its awesome.

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:38 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Will have to give that a go one of these days. I think I've heard it, but not tasted it. Think Redhook had an Espresso BBQ sauce...in fact think it's unopened in my cabinet.

But what's the best demi glace recipe? I usually don't like sauces, but could be it's never done right (Though the Joy of Cooking break out your best wine sauce was good).
slyde
Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:10 pm Reply with quote
The old school way of making demi was to make a beef stock then an espagnole then...

blah blah blah...

...I don't do all that.

You get some shank bones, roast them (word of warning: this smells like death. Nasty).

You get some miropoix (onions, carrots, celery) mixed with tomato paste and roast them (seperately from the bones).

After roasting it you make a nice stock starting with cold water (toss in some parsley, peppercorns and bay leaves).

When the stock is done (about 12-14 hours NEVER BOILING) I strain it through cheesecloth and wash out the pot (you can also do a second boiling of the bones which is called a remiage which can be saved [frozen for home cooking] and used in place of the water for your next stock...it will make a richer stock)

I put wine in the bottom of the now clean pot and let it reduce down by about 2/3rds then pour in some stock and let it reduce by half. If you roasted everything enough it will thicken up on its own and you won't have to make an espagnole (think this recipe is looooong and drawn out, its nothing when made the old school way).

Demi = half
Glace = glaze

If you were making glace de viande ("meat glaze" you would let it reduce down until very thick).

There's nothing like some fresh Northwest morel mushrooms, demi glace and cream sauteed until thick and poured into a bowl.

Actually, some dried morels soaked in warm vegetable stock for a morel "essence" then make a "meat free french dip" by sauteeing some onions, sliced criminis, buttons and the re-hydrated morels. Top it with some swiss and put it on a bun. Then use the morel stock to dip it in. AWESOME. Damn, I'm getting hungry.

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Cold coffee works well as a marinade for roasts.

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:57 am Reply with quote
I used to work in a kitchen where the chef was Brazillian - apparantly it's quite common to use coffee with beef over there.

Really is a good even though it sounds odd.
slyde
Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:48 am Reply with quote
Welcome to the board hagwag.

Page 1 of 1