SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SCREEN PRINTING  »  How do you burn screens?
Page 1 of 1    

How do you burn screens?

livi-skater
Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 7:06 am Reply with quote
I want to know how to burn screens anyone care to share help me out?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
PASS
Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Assuming you've already passed the frame and screen stretching, as well as coating the screen with photo emultion (direct or film). And you've got your design as a film positive, your now ready to expose the positive on the screen.. so you need a light source.. sunlight, halogen, reg light bulb (300w min), grow lights, fluorescent, etc.. it all a matter of finding the right exposure time depending upon the light source. Sunlight could be anywhere from 10-30 secs, halogen 2 min, 300w bulb 12-15 min, grow or 55k fluorescents 5-7 min... of course you also have to figure out the right distance too...I use to expose screens (16x20) with a 300w bulb, about 13in above the screen... then I built my own exposure box using 4ea 55K fluorescent light about 6-8in from screens shooting two screens at a time.. trail and error will be at hand... whichever method you try..once you got it, you'll probably never change. Make some small fine line positives (5-6ea) then do a test.. using whatever light source you decide..(except sunlight) place one down at 2 min, 3 min, 4 min, etc.. break it down by every 30 sec if you have to.. and see which positives exposes (washes out) the cleanest...then you'll have an idea of where to start.

MK

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:31 pm Reply with quote
The film possitive.....can that just be transparent plastice/paper that you can print through your computer?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ohio
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:53 pm Reply with quote
vellum or acetate (clear plastic sheets)
PASS
Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:49 am Reply with quote
It can be a transparency..although I always double up them to make the image darker. If you using a computer and have a laser printer, you local screen printing supply should have laser film in legal, and 11x17 sheets.. well worth the price and ease of printing out the positives at home. Has to be a laser printer though or xerox machine.. no wet media ink (bubble jet /inkjet)

MK

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I found gum glue stickes the two sheets of acetate together sweet
PASS
Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:22 pm Reply with quote
When I use 2 transparencies, I cut down the excess around the image on one of the trans, then line it up over the other trans.. use scotch tape to secure the 2 together at the cut down trans edges onto the other transparency. Advantages is..ease of lining up design and scotch tape will not "burn" onto screen..

MK

Page 1 of 1