SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  Location for a new shop - how important?
Page 1 of 1    

Location for a new shop - how important?

CrailingOldBarney
Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:54 am Reply with quote
hello all,

I'm looking into opening a retail skateboard and clothing shop in central, va and am having trouble finding a space.

how important do you think location is?

there are some funky, out of the way places I can afford but I'm worried that no one will make the effort to find the shop - sort of up-and-coming places that don't have retail right now but have coffee shops, restaurants and might grow in the near future.

there are busy places but they cost a lot more and I'm not sure if walk by traffic is what I'm looking for.

any ideas - what has worked for you, etc? I've read that skaters shop at skate shops and that a destination shop (like a skate shop) will draw people and location isn't as important...?

thanks,

COB
DomitianX
Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:18 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
If its a shop that skaters want to go to, they will come. Make it somewhere they can hang out and they will come around. As long as it isnt 50 miles in the middle of nowhere I suppose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
newrepublicsteve
Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:42 pm Reply with quote
if you build it.....
yeah you know the rest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
txrocker13
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:58 am Reply with quote
Pharmacy skateboard in Hesperia took the idea of a remote location smack in the middle of the mojave desert (believe me, I lived there for 4 years) and made it work. The fact that they were away from any other shops and in an area where there was nothing else but a mall is what rocketed their sales. Now they have like 4 shops scattered around the desert and still look for new locations. It can be done.
Fedupskateboards
Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:24 pm Reply with quote
COB,

Ehh, It honestly depends on if there is many shops in the area. I run a skateboard company, and unfortunately am on commission with nearly all of the shops in my city. So, I go to all the shops in my city (about 5 or 6) and talk with them ...see how business is going, etc. I think location is a bit more important than people here think. I wouldn't say that, but most skaters usually don't have a vehicle. This is when location becomes a huge factor ...and kids usually go to the shop around where the intend to skate or get their parents to take them. Location is huge to parents. For example, I used to work for a skate shop in downtown Corpus Christi and we would get the same kids in there everyday just hanging out. Those kids liked to skate this one spot over and over again. Needless to say, they closed to shop down. So, for the younger skaters, location is huge. It is only the die-hard skaters that will go out of their way for a cool shop. And those guys usually have relationships with other shops anyways. So, if I were you I'd fork over an extra few hundreds a month. That is only if the skateshops are moderately skattered in your area. Posting one in the middle of 4 others isn't going to do any good.

So, basically, find a spot where there is skaters, and not a lot of skateshops.

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:15 am Reply with quote
Joined: 31 Aug 2004 Posts: 2382 Location: Highland, Michigan, USA, Earth
Yep - get a place that has no skate shop within 15 miles. Parent will go to you just because you're closer. THen they will come back if you are cool and give good service.

That's exactly what is happening to me with my shop.

Plus - if financing, distributors, and vendors want you to be a certian distance from another shop.

Support skateboard art/artists: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BurbSkateboards

Page 1 of 1