SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SCREEN PRINTING  »  blurry prints? What did I do wrong?
Page 3 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

blurry prints? What did I do wrong?

Drunk Engine
Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 2:26 pm Reply with quote
How high is your off set of the screen to the board?
olivelawn
Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 7:04 pm Reply with quote

I'd say it is just less than 1/8" over center and just less than 1/2" on the 2 sides.
Drunk Engine
Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Can you press & form the squeegee over the deck?, do this with out the screen in the way, this will determin the angle you will need on the squeegee when printing for real. If you can do this then you may need to use more pressure, move the screen closer to the deck, or adjust the tention of the screen(if possable). Remember like Donald and Ohio said, and you need to use your fingers to stiffen the edge and ends of the squeegee (it's all in the fingers, squeegee angle, and pressue). You may also needs to put more of an angle of the squeegee, you will know this by trying to form the squeegee's edge on your deck and use your fingers on the back side of the squeegee to force the sqeegee to form the concave needed in order to achive a single pass. Are you still getting a smear or ink under the screen? What is the speedball ink like, is it watery or thick?
ohio
Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 8:56 pm Reply with quote
speed ball ink is like water most inks are like a paste. except water based that is water to begin with.. but anyhow you screen i way to small, if you are doing a small graphic in the middle lets 3 or 4 inches then you can use that screen that you pictured but do all the way out you need a screen that is alot larger lets say at least approximately about 30 outer diameter wide so that you can get that concave, also you are gonna need to keep a lower mesh tension like 10 newtons, i mean you can keep trying with that but it gonna be so difficult because you are fighting the screen. and youre taking hollowed point bullets to the skull. like i said before get a screen that is wide and longer it will make it way easier. and yes print onto a piece of paper to get the ink flowing for a clean print mabey like 5 times so that it charges that bitch. the more angle the squeege the more ink gets put down. youre off contact sounds good. man do that thing where you put paper on the board so that you dont have to keep sanding that whore down. do you have a digital camera it would be good so we could see the fuck ups also they would be good to learn from keep track of this take some pics of the mess ups and youre set up how you are mounting the board and such and then post them. im gonna get moving in a week i have screens coming. if you want youre ink to dry faster use a heat gun or hair dryer but dont keep it to close it will bubble the ink with little super small bubbles due to the water being sucked out of the ink. dude go to dickblick art supplies they have nazdar ink get a quart its like 25 bucks and use that its a different ball game.
keep going or you will spend seasons in the abyss!
Drunk Engine
Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Ohio, makes a good point saying the inks are watery, the only thing keeping the ink from leaking under the screen is the mesh count which is usally dictated by the type of inks your are using. What mesh count are you using? Definately practice on some paper if you can, your almost there I can feel it. Nazdar is the best ink for this type of printing and I prefer solvent based but they smell and you need to use mineral spirits for clean-up. So needless to say the whole process stinks, heh.

Page 3 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3