SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SCREEN PRINTING  »  Complete Guide to Screening decks
Page 1 of 1    

Complete Guide to Screening decks

TSU skateboards
Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:11 pm Reply with quote
No offense or anything but to find out the information on this forum you have to do a little searching. Dont get me wrong, this is a good forum for screening boards, I think that we should just make it easy for new people to start up with all the information in one thread, in steps. Anyone that wants to help me with this is welcome, send me a email at [email protected] and we can get this shit to happen

[ This Message was edited by: TSU Skateboards on 2003-11-02 23:17 ]
TSU skateboards
Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to cover materials, suppliers, frames, tables, photo positives, burning and the final printing. I think I got everthing.

Carlos
[email protected]

[ This Message was edited by: TSU skateboards on 2003-11-02 23:17 ]
TSU skateboards
Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Heres a rough draft of the material list tell me some of things that need to be changed.

Basic Material list

Materials- what you need
Ink
Screen
Emulsion
Decks
Frames

Materials- specifics, stuff that works well

Ink
You want something permanent that works on wood, make sure the inks say they work on wood!

Screen
You want polyester multifilament mesh 12xx is good for board use.

Emulsion
You want something made for printing water based inks, preferably pre-sensitized. Sensitized means that the chemicals have been pre mixed, if you get something with the sensitizer included but not already mixed then you have to mix chemicals, not fun. The upside of non sensitized emulsion is that it lasts for a incredibly long time. Pre-sensitized has a short shelf life.

Frames
Sorry but your going to have to build it yourself, contact Amerone, he will give you the plans for 7 dollars. [email protected]

Decks
7 ply maple. A good price for boards is around 20 dollars, if its much cheaper its crap, if its much more expensive your getting ripped. There are many good blank deck sites on the internet, look around.

You are also going to need a squeegee for applying emulsion and another one for applying paint. Ass well as halogen bulbs for burning the screen. You will need a table, look around and you should be able to find plans for one.

Suppliers

Blicks art, http://www.dickblick.com for screens, emulsion, and ink.

Amerone [email protected] for frames plans

For decks there are many sites
http://www.blank-decks.com- feedback on them would be nice

Penswood boards- ? somebody said they burned down?

http://www.abcboards.com

http://www.skatepaige.com- beware of them, people say there boards are weak. I have two of them sitting in my room right now, I�ve done some limited skating on them. They flip really fast even without grip tape.. The boards themselves weigh 1/6 of a pound more than my element feather light. They look good and skatepaiges service was professional.

Eastbuilt.com- Somebody says that he wasn�t impressed with their boards.

[ This Message was edited by: TSU skateboards on 2003-11-02 23:18 ]
src
Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Just for alittle input on Paige. i grew up near his warehouse and used to ride his boards all the time, unless he changed something in his production, they are extremely good boards and a good guy as well. Just thought i'd through my 2 cents in on this one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
seth c
Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 12:42 am Reply with quote
paige hooked me up quick.. i ordered 25 blanks, he /made them that day, and i had them 3 days later... strong stuff in cool shapes.. excellent guy to deal with. A+++
dancinwithdeath
Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 3:48 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
i have tall respect for paige just because of this message i copied from their site

"Skateboard Deck Industry News: Currently we are facing fierce competition with foreign manufactured skateboard decks. Many American companies are hurting our economy by moving our fine factories to other countries where resources are cheaper. Our EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) has no jurisdiction in foreign countries, and our safety and labor laws do not apply overseas. Many factories employ children, and everyone works under harsh conditions, only to make far below minium wage.
There are several major skateboard companies who have switched from buying American made skateboard decks to cheaper Chinese decks, and many more are following suit. These greedy companies are sacrificing our economy to make a bigger profit. Whenever you see a price drop in certain brands, be aware that these companies are probably buying cheaply made foreign decks.

You can do your part by contacting your favorite companies and demanding they purchase goods manufactured in the USA. Not only will you help keep factories like ours alive, you will help keep the economy flowing. We proudly use 100% American resources and raw materials, and we take good care of our employees. We encourage you to buy not only our skateboard decks, but to make an effort to always purchase products made in the USA"
TSU skateboards
Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 11:46 pm Reply with quote
heres somemore info from around the forum, from my searches and from donald

by the way a good supplyer of screening stuff is dick blick art supply they seem to have everything and schools buy from them, if you are still in school ask you art teacher, odds are they'll have a catalog. I dont know how their service is, i havnt tested it yet. General advice to newbies (like me) dont buy from them, go to you local screening store and ask lots of questions as the people there are smart, this is how they make a living. if you are expreienced or have no local stores, then give blicks art supply a chance, tell us how it worked out. http://www.dickblick.com

screens, THEY ARE NOT SILK, the word silk screening is outdated the whole thing is now in polyester, the term screen printing is correct pollitically correct

anyway there are two kinds of screens, multi fillament and monofillament

mono filament is done from one thread, they are measured in plain numbers like 80 or 100 the number refers to how many threads there are within a square inch. around a 100 is good for board graphics, 70 is good for coating base coats.

multi fillament is from many threads, it is measured in numbers like 8xx or 12xx those numbers before teh xx measure how coards the fabric is, 6xx being extremely 16xx being almost nto coarse at all.

donald recomends 100 mono fillament for boards 70 for blank coating, listen to him, hes the master.

thanks remember help would be apprepeated in this project

[ This Message was edited by: TSU skateboards on 2003-11-02 23:20 ]
donald20
Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:34 pm Reply with quote
mmmhhh -don't wanna be the "master".just a guy who wants to share and give some advice.let's leave it like that,ok?
TSU skateboards
Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 6:42 pm Reply with quote
hehe sure

[ This Message was edited by: TSU skateboards on 2003-11-02 23:20 ]
donald20
Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 2:44 pm Reply with quote
mmhhh chris...
one question that just came to my mind...
are you a professional printer or not?
if not i don't think it would make much sense for you to gather all the info and publish it on your own.
all the stuff you would publish would be just hearsay.you are non-experienced and totally uneducated on some stuff you would post.besides that,i have to say that i absolutely feel uncomfortable with your idea of pulling all the info together from me and some others here on this forum.

i guess you know why!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 1