SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  HOT DISCUSSIONS  »  Old bearings questions
Page 3 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Old bearings questions

slob-air
Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:33 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
bondiboy - the sheilds are likely held with a c-clip retainer ring that can be pried off with a safety pin and put back together by simply putting the ring back in place.

If it doesn't have a clip, then you'll have to destroy on sheild.

Clean with mineral spirits bath and rinse with 99% isopropyl alcohol�dry with a blow dryer, lube with Rocket Propellant or Speed Cream and put the seal back on (if replaceable).

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Yeah thats what I'm doing Slob - without the shield removal bit. They appear to be pressed in and I don't want to destroy them. I'll be happy dissolving out the old grease, besides, they sound alright when spun. Bit of fresh lube and its all good I reckon!

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:10 pm Reply with quote
take the covers off and soak them in gasoline over night, they hum after that.
yoyo
Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
So, here is a foto of a racing 2 bearing.
It looks like they had different versions.....

bondiboy66
Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I think thats what I've got ^^^^

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 03 Jul 2003 Posts: 15097 Location: Heaven or Hell...kinda hard to tell.
I've got 5 or 6 sets of NMBs...sexy!

A bro way back was a Sims Gold whore. I'd like to find him and see if he's still sitting on the gold pot. ( He also had Hulk #1-12...I saw them, and held them...) I saw his mom not too long ago...I may ask if he's got any of that old skate junk.... )

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I know this is old, but guys like me are still researching!

I pulled a set of GMN bearings out of some old OJ's that came on a complete LM FP that I bought a while back. I wanted to service them and found that the shields are indeed crimped into place on both sides. Looking through a jeweler's loop, I could see small indentations where the shield was pressed under the lip on the outer race. These shields won't come off without being damaged.

I am soaking them in Alcohol, and will soak them some kind of lube once they dry.

Just thought I would share!
gogomouse1
Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:35 pm Reply with quote
distalradiusreduction wrote:

I pulled a set of GMN bearings out of some old OJ's that came on a complete LM FP that I bought a while back. I wanted to service them and found that the shields are indeed crimped into place on both sides. Looking through a jeweler's loop, I could see small indentations where the shield was pressed under the lip on the outer race. These shields won't come off without being damaged.

I am soaking them in Alcohol, and will soak them some kind of lube once they dry.

I don't think they're worth the trouble. You can still buy vintage NOS GMN bearings cheap from OSS.
slob-air
Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
gogomouse1 wrote:
distalradiusreduction wrote:

I don't think they're worth the trouble. You can still buy vintage NOS GMN bearings cheap from OSS.

Yup. not worth it. And soaking in gas does negative things to the bearing like making it difficult to get the lube to adhere to it after as gasoline leaves a film and powder.

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Well I cleaned them up. I pulled one shield off of each one and soaked them in Acetone, scrubbed them a bit, then rinsed them in denatured alcohol. It really wasn't a big deal since I did it at work while on the phone. They all spun nicely after I cleaned them up and lubed them with speed cream. I put them in some old DTFs that I want to use to skater around the block on my breaks at work. I think they turned out great. I did also just receive two sets of Rockets from Ron, so those will go in to wheels that I use at the park.

The bottom line is that it probably was not worth the time in terms of the money saved vs the value of my time. However, I hate throwing useful things away, and I believe that if I am enjoying the process, there is far more value to spending that time (doing whatever it is) than there would be to spend the money and save myself the time.

Page 3 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next