SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  MANUFACTURERS FORUM  »  Elighten me on the transfer process
Page 1 of 1    

Elighten me on the transfer process

BOOYAKA
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I am looking into resources provided to me on the forum.. however i have some more questions..
I am looking for someone who is familiar with the skateboard heat transfer process. I am a little confused. As far as i can tell a manufacturer will design a graphic on the computer. This graphic is then printed onto a material which is applied to the board and run through a heat transfer machine which applies the graphic to the board.

Some questions i have.. do you print the graphic using a sublimation/dye sublimation printer. ... What type of material is the graphic printed on, i figure the material is not simply standard heat transfer/sublimation paper... finally any resources or contacts are appreciated..
krayola
Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:15 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 11 Feb 2007 Posts: 15449 Location: R'lyeh 47°9′S 126°43′W / 47.15°S 126.717°W / -47.15; -126.717
To my knowledge no one really uses dye sublimation much anymore except on banners and snow boards.

The 'film' is a transfer film, just tacky enough to hold the inks, these inks can be serographed on(silkscreened) or offset pressed in China(where all the old US machines went) But in most cases they are spot colors applied to a film, then with heat the ink is released in it's entirety and adheres through heat. Much like how a tansfer is applied to a shirt. There is no shirnking, no melting of the ink. The heat only releases the tension from the film and in the hot state the film can be pulled off.

Dye sublimation is really for cloth or synthetics and actually is impregnated into the substrate.

Use the search feature because there is some wiser heads here that have explained the process previously.

Page 1 of 1