SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SCREEN PRINTING  »  What kind of ink is for wood and what kind of ink is for shi
Page 1 of 1    

What kind of ink is for wood and what kind of ink is for shi

PROBLY
Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I am just getting into printing on stuff and I have been reading about it for afew weeks and I am about to buy a screen printer. Well my question was what kind of ink do you use on shirts and what kind of ink do you use on decks? and does anyone have any tips for me?? anything would help.
Nervous
Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 09 Feb 2003 Posts: 2841 Location: a room with a view
Firstly, in no way am I any sort of authority on this subject. THis is just my experience so far. From what I've found, a lot of the inks that are used to print t-shirts are water based whereas the inks used for wood are chemical based. The water based cleans up really easy and you have to have mineral spirits (?) to clean the chemical based inks. Order some free catalouges from dick blick to see the different inks. I think Nazdar has some free ones too.
PROBLY
Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Ok awesome...thanks for the help
olivelawn
Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Plastisols are for t-shirts (they need to be cured).
Water-based can be used for decks, but people use solvent-based as well.

Water-based for t-shirts prolly not a good idea 'cause if it is water based they'll come out in the wash.
Five Points Skateboards
Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 8:34 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
What if you use perminent acrylic for t-shirts? I thought it dried perminent? I dunno

Also,when you use plastisol ink, don't you have to flash it to get it dry? Just wondering. I was going to experiment with the perminent acrylic. I'd like to use plastisol, but have never used it. Is it easy to work with? Is there any other way to get it dry, other than flashing it?

Stranglehold77
Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:58 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 10 Apr 2002 Posts: 5437 Location: Victoria BC CANADA
There is only one way for Plastisol to cure. It has to hit 320 degrees. This is indeed a drawback for the home shop. When I started my first "serious" home shop, I went out and found a bunch of used gear that wasn't too too expensive. The key to sucessful Platisol printing lies in having a flash-cure(Spot)dryer and a coveyor belt style dryer for curing.
As for the acrylic(and water) based ink, you can use it but the print quality won't be nearly as good.
Both acrylic and plastisol require Varsol or some other mineral spirits to clean up.

Although I'm not much help with printing boards, I can tell you pretty much anything you need to know when it comes to shirts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Page 1 of 1