SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SCREEN PRINTING  »  README FIRST!! - I bought all the wrong printing equipment,
Page 1 of 1    

README FIRST!! - I bought all the wrong printing equipment,

Drunk Engine
Posted: Wed May 07, 2003 5:31 am Reply with quote
Heh, a new thread for the newbies. I don't mind sharring info for the beginner screenprinter however....You must understand how frustrating it is when we all tell you what supplies you will need to print good quality products and then you come back to us ant tell us you went to the local art supply to purchased everything you need. I have yet, in my lifetime found anyone knowledgable about screen printing in an art supply store. Donald20, Ohio, Myself and soon to be Olivelawn may have some of the most experience in the art of screenprinting on this messageboard. I have seen photo's of Donald20's and Ohio setups and they are the REAL DEAL. It's awesome that we all have posted so much information on the subject but it seems to fall on deaf ears. The knowledge is here in the many threads and yet you take advice on what you will need from your local art supply self proclaimed "guru". Most art supply stores do not sell quality products for screen printing t-shirts or skateboard decks. There are crap loads of screenprinting supply companies on the internet and probably in your local area. Call them, tell them what you want to print and they will recomend to you the same products that we are telling you to pick up. So just read the threads here, the answer to your question is probably in here somewhere. Most of our techniques and advice can easily be adapted to the most ghetto of setups and operations.
olivelawn
Posted: Wed May 07, 2003 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Drunk Engine outlines a good point and I fell into the same "art store" trap, but was rescued by these fellahs before I made too many mistakes. Do not buy art store emulsions, stencil reclaimers, or chemicals. I have bought a few inks and they have worked alright, but needed a lot of thinning or thickening to get through mt screens. Also, do not buy silk! I bought silk thinking it was the way to go, then ended up having to replace it all with monofilament polyester!
mr black
Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:18 pm Reply with quote
yeah there is alot of traps out there if you are just starting out , we have all fallen into them. some of the best equipment and cheapest to have is the stuff you engineer yourself. Get help from places like this , guys that have years under there belt printing . you will be amazed at the little things that make printing from hell to heaven . I know i have been there ....BLACK
Stranglehold77
Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 3:10 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 10 Apr 2002 Posts: 5437 Location: Victoria BC CANADA
I started printing shirts sixteen years ago and can attest to everything that you guys are saying. Art store wanks don't have a goddamn clue when it comes to production screenprinting. DON'T LISTEN TO THEM! There are other resources out there(such as this forum) to help the beginner. Just ask for help when you don't know what to do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Page 1 of 1