SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SCREEN PRINTING  »  Screen Burning Help
Page 1 of 1    

Screen Burning Help

Five Points Skateboards
Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:49 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
OK. I went out and bought new screen and emulsion supplies. Here are my questions:

1. I have a 4 ft. long flourescent light that has two 40 watt bulbs in it. Will this work to burn the screen or do I need more wattage? How long do I need do burn it for?

2. I was told by the peeps at Dick Blick that I only need to put emulsion on one side? I thought you put it on both sides of the screen??? Anyone?

3. I was also told that it doesn't have to be pitch dark to do the emulsion part. They said a normally lit room will be OK. Is this true?

Any help will be much appreciated. I'm stoked and ready to start screening these babies. Got some sweet graphics a local Artist did for me. I'm going to give it a go this weekend. I'll post pics.
Thanks guys.
Tim
FPS

[ This Message was edited by: Five Points Skateboards on 2003-08-22 11:02 ]
ugsb
Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:24 am Reply with quote
1. i'm not sure if the flouresent lights will do the job, i'd try using a 500w halogen light, like the ones used in the garage. you can get them at home depot for under $20. i burn for 20 minutes with two of these sitting about 3 feet away from the screen. if you have a place to set it outside, the sun will expose it in about 5 minutes. times will defer depending on the emulsiion used, i use ulano fx88.

2. you can just coat one side of the screen but chances are the emulsion won't hold up very well.

3. you can coat the screens in a lit room, but dry them in the dark. extended exposure to any light will start the emulsion to become exposed. i'd guess it would take at least an hour of room light before the screen is no good.

hope this helps.
howie

[ This Message was edited by: ugsb on 2003-08-22 11:32 ]
enthu
Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:04 pm Reply with quote
get ulano qtx emulsion it is pre mixed and it burns super good and also cleans and washes out very nicely. I use a 100 watt bulb at 21" away for 40 min all my screens come out perfect.
Stranglehold77
Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:12 am Reply with quote
Joined: 10 Apr 2002 Posts: 5437 Location: Victoria BC CANADA
ulano qtx is what I use. I'm trying hard to remember what wattage I used to use when I was printing before having exposure units. I thought it was 300w, but these exposure times that you guys are odd to me. I have never burned a screen for more than 7-10 minutes... Weird.

As for coating screens, you should do both sides of the screen, but it doesn't have to be a heavy coat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
pennswood
Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:36 am Reply with quote
we use 40 watt blacklight bulbs available at any lighting supplier. i built a box out of two by tens, plywood bottom, and lined the bottonm with 6 two bulb fixtures. a piece of thick glass over the top. then you can burn big screens or small in 4 mins with ulano fx88 or ulano water resistant emulsion.
Five Points Skateboards
Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:51 am Reply with quote
Thanks guys. I got it figured out now. Check out some of the decks at http://www.fivepointsskates.com and lemme know what you think

Nick
Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:41 am Reply with quote
I like the johnny cash graphic, did you just use a photo or did it need to be put into two colors to get it to look that way? I seen one of your stickers at ollie's skatepark in florence, ky awhile back. You been there or was it just a sticker that traveled around?
Five Points Skateboards
Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:41 am Reply with quote
It's just a one color screen. White ink on a dark colored deck.

Yeah, we go down to Ollies quite often, especially this year with all the rain. The vert ramp is a big mofo isn't it. Talk about some haulin ass!

pope
Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:02 pm Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: pope on 2003-10-23 20:04 ]

Page 1 of 1