SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  TATTOOS  »  Whats a decent gun for a new artist
Page 3 of 6    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Whats a decent gun for a new artist

evolution
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 11:07 am Reply with quote
For the record, I don't tattoo but have friends who do, and I've spent enough time in shops to see first hand the changes that have taken place in tattooing recently.(flooding of the craft etc)

I think the fist part of problem is that the general public doesn't know any better(as far as quality work) and since tattooing is saturated with bad & mediocre artists nowadays, their work is what most people genrally see. They think that is what to expect, and what a tattoo is supposed to look like, and to them it is probably good tattooing. A lot of people also assume flash is their only option.....because in some shops they are only tattooists, not "tattoo artists" and they cannot draw custom work or freehand a tattoo for shit.

The 2nd reason the bad tattooers keep their jobs is because the most popular tattoos, kanji, script, stars, tribal etc are obviously some of the more simpler pieces to tattoo, therefore it does not take an amazing tattooer to pull it off(although it would look better if done by one)and so the shitty tattooer can get by with half-assed work, especially if it is a small piece on someones back. The average college chick/meathead probably isn't going to critique the linework,and as Nervous said, "They are just happy to get a tattoo"....and their friends are never going to tell them it sucks.

The 3rd reason is PEOPLE ARE CHEAP AS FUCK! They do not want to pay for good work, everyone wants a deal. I have even refered people to good artists myself, and they went elsewhere to get a good deal.....sooner or later they regret it. Tattooers will attest to this: I've literally seen people "shop around", and go to different shops and ask for prices, "How much would it cost to put these letters on my back?" etc. They don't even look at portfolios....they'll just go in shop after shop asking for the best deals, offering their flesh to the lowest bidder,which is usually the shadiest shop with the worst tattooers. That is how people get bad tattoos, and there is always the tweeker/dope fiend tattooer who needs money for drugs and is always down to make a deal. Then people get even worse tattoos from the guy who is "just starting out" and will tattoo them in his garage for free or next to nothing.

In San Diego county where I live tattoo shops are a dime a dozen. In San Diego, I'd say 30% of the tattooers are mediorce, 50% are bad 15% are good, and maybe 5% are great, give or take.(I might get shit for this but its the truth)There are not too many shops that have more than one, maybe two good tattooers. In the shops that have a good artist, more often than not the other tattooers just kind of ride on the coattails. Shops with a full staff of good artists that all can hold their own are rare out here. People get refered beacause of the better artist/shop name, and end up getting bad work from someone else in the shop.

[ This Message was edited by: evolution on 2004-05-21 12:08 ]

[ This Message was edited by: evolution on 2004-05-21 12:10 ]

[ This Message was edited by: evolution on 2004-05-21 12:11 ]

[ This Message was edited by: evolution on 2004-05-21 12:12 ]

[ This Message was edited by: evolution on 2004-05-21 12:20 ]

[ This Message was edited by: evolution on 2004-05-21 12:22 ]
oakland
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Aug 2002 Posts: 1747 Location: Boulder, Colorado
Hey man, stall me out. I didn't sabotage that shit, I said I was selling mine too cheap and told the guy to sell to you. Loosen your lawndart.
seth c
Posted: Sat May 22, 2004 9:18 am Reply with quote
huh? wierdo...

@evolution.. you're 100% correct... in all of your observations.

i can think of a handfull of good tattooers in almost any city, but to name more than 5 would be a stretch. SF being an exception, and NY of course.
Nervous
Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 12:00 am Reply with quote
Joined: 09 Feb 2003 Posts: 2841 Location: a room with a view
I think of getting ink in the same way as I think of buying art. I COULD just go to the flea market and pick up some paintings of whatever and hang them or I could spen a hell of a lot more and buy some Howell pieces and really be happy. I think you guys are totally on the money with the theory of the general public just not knowing (or maybe even caring) what a good piece looks like.

On that note, I love tattoos.... I want a ton. The only problem is that the money inst always there... and that sucks!!! Im dying to get some of my Howell sleve started this Summer but Im broke and scared to let just anyone begin this. Ive seen a lot of your guys work and for the most part I am impressed, I just wish that I could afford to drive to where you guys are and then be able to afford the ink, but its just too damn expensive. At this rate I may have my sleeve started by 2020. LOL
seth c
Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 12:10 am Reply with quote
well.. i know grime wont.. but i'll trade work for decks...
Nervous
Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 09 Feb 2003 Posts: 2841 Location: a room with a view
If I had some pink Powells I'd be all over that.

Gusto
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 1:46 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Quote:

On 2004-05-23 01:00, Nervous wrote:
On that note, I love tattoos.... I want a ton. The only problem is that the money inst always there... and that sucks!!! Im dying to get some of my Howell sleeve started this Summer but Im broke and scared to let just anyone begin this.

definately get it done by a tattoo artist that appreciates/understands skateboard graphics. hold out!!! hope ya get it sooner than 2020.

fuck barbra walters.
Shitbird
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 3:07 am Reply with quote
I just love how people want to agitate/argue with/inuslt/be cheap with the person holding the needles, and marking them permanently.
Just fucking brilliant.
Great shit.
Yeah....the deal is, to be a truly good tattooer (not talking STELLAR like the Grime, merely GOOD) It's a lifelong commitment...you don't just "use it as another medium"...this shit ain't fucking airbrushing.
If your boy has enough time to "consider all health concerns....etc." he's not putting in enough time at his day job.
It's like martial arts or someother esoteric, life choice....you don't learn it just to beat some dude's ass in a parking lot, and if you don't dedicate your life to it....you WILL get YOUR ass kicked in a parking lot.
Hahahaahahaahaaaa!!!!
Yeah, seriously though, post some links to his shit, I love looking at art.
I think SEF and Jay covered this pretty well.
As far as the crap part...I think you nailed it...people are dumb.
Ease of info, and the loss of the tattoo community's tight knit familial trip has made every trend-fag an "artist".
Like how you see all these pussies rollin' on stock, lame "Harley"s thinking they are "bikers".
Yeah.
You don't have to kill babies to be a hardcore biker, but the shit that's floating down the pike now makes me sick...and the same is true with the majority of 'tattooers'.
I get invited to conventions all the time.
Why the fuck would I go to meet some pin cushion faced fuck from Iowa?
Dude, if I know ya, and we are down, cool.
This shit used to mean something.
Someone showed you a trick to make your work better, you TREASURED that shit, you didn't WRITE ABOUT IT IN A FUCKING INTERNATIONAL PUBLICATION.
Fuck that.
Trade secrets are just that.
That's why you walk into 85% of the shops in the world today, and you will see the same shit on the wall, and dig the pics of the ratshit outlines dug into previous victims.
Sweet.
The signage in my shop reads along the lines of....
"You don't like it? GET YOUR HAPPY ASS OUTTA DODGE, BITCH!"
Classic...along with a photo of myself, and the disclaimer...
"Don't argue with this fucker, he's crazy."
Hahahaahahaahahahaaaaaa!!!!!
GRIM SHADY
Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:13 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 16 Jul 2002 Posts: 1311 Location: Damn, this thing got tet-tris
i like the parking lot analogy. great. shitty- i have a poster. and a canvas. i bring to your shop. tomorrow. thursday. you bring some thing? cream. what???!!?! ENGLISH! i want my child to speak english!
Shitbird
Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:42 am Reply with quote
Uhhhhhh-HUUUUUUH!
WHUT?
Buddaydonhearmedoh....
Yeah, I'll have tha Cheez, fuhsheez.
Lookin' forward to seein' ya!

Page 3 of 6    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next