SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  DOWNHILL / SPEEDBOARDING / LONGBOARDS  »  How many longboarders ride trannies?
Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

How many longboarders ride trannies?

Stubbs
Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Ironic he's in Aruba with all the turmoil on that island.
slob-air
Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63459 Location: S&B HQ
Not sure if that's irony or just something that should have been expected.

Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:03 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
i ride the hustler in the bowls and its sooooooo gravy.

i guess some would consider it a longboard but it doesnt really have the shape of one in my eyes. i just see it as one big motherfucking board.

that badboy with some randals and sitfires and its seriously like surfing...or what i imagine surfing would feel like.
Stubbs
Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:53 am Reply with quote
Ahhh.....Gusto so wise.....me love him long time.
ghostcavalry
Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Some guys even ride grannys

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Sep 2003 Posts: 2954 Location: pedro point, nor cal
Eventhough I've been reading/posting at silverfish for a while now and should be used to people wanting to draw the distinction, when I hear the word "longboarder" instead of simply "skater", I can't help but think of Skatemaster Tate! (whatever happened to that character?)
MileHighSkates
Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Apr 2004 Posts: 2708 Location: Boulder County, CO
ghostcavalry wrote:
Some guys even ride grannys

ghostcavalry
Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:47 pm Reply with quote

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Hi,
My name is John and I�m a recovered longboard park, pool, pipe, ditch skater....

My story goes something like this, the problem started back in the 70�s, went into remission during my long skate hiatus and resurfaced again with my reemergence to skating back in 99�. It�s been hard work at times and very difficult but I�m proud to admit, I�ve been off the big lumber for a little more than a year. �and frankly, I haven�t felt better!

I thought I had it in check, when I restarted skating. Rolling on an 8 �� shop blank popsicle at first. It all began so innocently. First it was a 36� Alva. The ol' "gee, that had the same logo on it as something like I used to ride during the Carter years, so it must be good", type of thinking.

Things were going well with the 36�er, so I figured let�s try something, just a little bit bigger and went with a 39�, Sector 9. The thinking became, �if 39� is good, 46� must be better�. So now I was into the �hard stuff�. Pure, prime Canadian Skull Skates, 46� full size freakin� Souldier.

The Souldier became my ride of choice for transition. I rode those things all over the country and in France and Sweden, in all kinds of different parks, pools, ditches and yes, even the legendary Mt. Baldy. The Souldiers accompanied me on the majority of my business trips. I couldn't leave it home. I�d get comments from traveling biz� associates, like �John, why are you taking golf clubs to Sweden in February�. ��err, they ain�t golf clubs�. My little secret could no longer be held in discretion. The big boards ruined professional anonymity as a skater, not to mention probably putting a hurting on my back, with hauling all that stuff around airports.

Continuing on with the �if enough is good, more is better� mindset, a 57� Gravity Ed Economy, was soon on it�s way to my door step. I wanted the biggest freakin� board I could get, that had a kicktail and had a decent chance of being ridden in a park, like a park boad. It did work OK and it too was ridden at almost every park in the northeast, at a bunch of parks throughout FLA.

Things were getting out of hand. I felt like I couldn�t go back to any normalcy. A 36� felt way too small. Forget about anything as insignificant as a 33� or 34� ride.

About 2 or so years ago, Skull came out with a new model, a slightly smaller and lighter Souldier, the Mini Souldier. It was a mere 42�. I tried one, �just because�. I believe this was the turning point of my rehabilitation.

After riding something smaller, lighter & more nimble and having the skill set come up a bit, I came to the realization that, it sure is nice to not have to huck all that wood up and down walls, swing it around during kickturns and be able to turn much more tighter lines than with the 46�er.

The opposite of my disjointed thinking, began to settle in. Hmmmm�. �Maybe if enough is good, a little bit less would be better�, became my new equipment approach.

A Scum Pitchfork was the board for the start of the trip to normalization. Heck�That thing ain�t nothing but an 8 �� wide, 18�WB�ed popsicle stick, with a funny nose. It served two purposes; 1) to get me on something less that a 20�+ WB and 2) to get me onto conventional/non-Randal trucks. It worked like a charm.

Next came an 8� x 36� Natural Koncepts with Indy�s and Spit�s. This almost put me where I wanted to be. The board was super stiff, but just a bit too narrow.

I found out about Tim and Five Points and ordered up a 34�x 8 �� popsicle. Bolted on a set of Indy 146�s and a set of Spit 60mm Classics. Thought to myself, �I�m finally on something that�s almost normal�. The first time I took this ride out to a park, I was feeling all good and stuff. No more 20 questions or comments about the big boards. The very first thing some kid said to me was, �That�s one huge board�. Oh well, guess ya� can�t win on some things.

So now I�ve finally settled into an Extinction squaretail prototype, matched up with a set Indy 146�s and 58mm SPF�s. The transformation is complete.

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 Aug 2003 Posts: 1467 Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Johnny B wrote:
Hi,
My name is John and I�m a recovered longboard park, pool, pipe, ditch skater.....

Recovered?? Don't you mean informed??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next