SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  To Shop Owners/Sales Question
Page 1 of 1    

To Shop Owners/Sales Question

effigy
Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:27 am Reply with quote
How do you deal with small board companies? If a guy walked into your shop carrying a bunch of boards, and you found those interesting, would you prefer to place a whiolesale order for a certain number of boards to be delivered at a later date, or to buy them outright(for instance, if this guy who just walked in had a bunch in his car, hehe).

OR would you prefer to see a catalog and to pick and choose designs from there?

OR do you only deal with distribution houses?

Thanks!

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 31 Aug 2004 Posts: 2382 Location: Highland, Michigan, USA, Earth
bring the decks in with you. I'd want to see the quality.

as a past shop owner - let me tell you a senario that I would've totally LOVED.

You walk into my shop. With one of each graphic. Show me the decks. TALK to me - no pressure. Tell me where the boards are made. Offer to give me 5 decks to put on the shelves and sell on consignment. You come back in a week and see how they sold. If none sold - you take em back, or leave them there to sell. If the decks sold, you collect the money that the shop would have paid for the decks.

Here's the risks:
You: The shop has to pay you for what they sold. You have to go collect the money, or the product that hasn't sold. It may be a pain to get the shop to write you a check. Document everything so that you can get paid, or pick up your product.

SHOP: They risk that you are putting junk product in their shop. Or you'll flake if there are product issues.

Advantages:
YOU: You get your product in the door. And with return visits, you get good customer service points. Drop off stickers, talk up the product with kids in the shop or employees.

SHOP: They have no money out of pocket. No risk of a product sitting on the shelves that they already paid for.

Just make up an agreement. Get everything in writing. And good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Support skateboard art/artists: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BurbSkateboards
effigy
Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Thanks so much for the advice auragreg!

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:48 am Reply with quote
Auragreg has hit it on the head. Words of wisdom.
mosu101
Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:19 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
particularly the part about get it in writing.

A friend lost big time with placing stock in a shop which folded and he lost his stock as it got taken by the creditors. might pay to seek legal advice regarding this horror scenario

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:43 pm Reply with quote
mosu101 wrote:
particularly the part about get it in writing.

A friend lost big time with placing stock in a shop which folded and he lost his stock as it got taken by the creditors. might pay to seek legal advice regarding this horror scenario

Yeah, definitely get something in writing. It protects both parties and lays it all out. No confusion or drama later on. If you have product to consign, browse around the web. There are consignment contracts you can download for a small fee or even free to get you started.

My preference when dealing with the new smaller companies...pay after they sell. But, if the price is right and you have them with you, I'll probably buy a 2-3 decks. If I have to clearance them out because they didn't sell, I probably won't worry about getting more the next time. That's why the consignment idea works the best if you are an unknown startup.

After I get to know you and get some feedback on your wood, I'll start picking up more.

An example of one of the small companies that I've worked with for awhile... The owner comes by, always has plenty of decks to choose from and sells them at a decent price ($25). If there is something on the wall that didn't sell since his last visit, he swaps it out for a different deck. Stickers are left for the shop, anyone in the store at that time also gets stickers, and then he heads to the local free park to skate and hang with everyone for awhile. Everyone is happy.
effigy
Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:11 pm Reply with quote
awesome advice...thanks Brianzig

Page 1 of 1