SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  SHOP
Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

SHOP

itsonlymoney!!!
Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 7:03 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 03 Oct 2001 Posts: 1730 Location: Alternative Ulster -Belfast N.Ireland
I lost 25 big ones in 18 months in a computer shop the money would have lasted longer if I had burnt it(KLF style)so good luck and be carefull I wish I had spent it on a ramp.
but sure its only money!!!
woody2001
Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 01 Oct 2001 Posts: 266 Location: Garbage Grove, Oregon
that is very good advice,
i fund my skate shop with my construction business, it makes enough to pay its own bills and buy me a 6 pack at the end fo the month.
overhead,product costs, slow business and competition make it a hard business to make money at.
I know another shop owner who took out a 50k loan and it took him 5 years, yes 5 years, to start turning a profit.
my shop got broke into while i was in hawaii, they took every last bit of inventory i had - i dindt have insurance

all out of pocket and it is hard to restart again after such a loss
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Neuman
Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Hey Devil, I see your in NY. Where did you plan on opening a shop? Me and a friend are considering opening one soon too. We are in Rockland County, NY.
woody2001
Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 9:04 pm Reply with quote
uh oh, already getting competition
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Devilock
Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 27 Nov 2001 Posts: 1141 Location: Long Island, New York
My shop will be located in Port Washington, Long Island
jawbox
Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 7:40 am Reply with quote
hey woody,
what construction business do you own?

...the machine outlives the man
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
woody2001
Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 10:22 pm Reply with quote
McBrides Concrete Restoration

basically i fix old concrete, epoxy coatings urethane , water proofing etc.

i resurface concrete too
jawbox
Posted: Fri May 03, 2002 6:24 pm Reply with quote
No foundation raising?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
woody2001
Posted: Fri May 10, 2002 12:32 pm Reply with quote
nope, no foundation work unless it is crack repair or surface restoration, maybe some injuection type work as well
bruised
Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 2:54 pm Reply with quote
In my experience starting a business is the easier part, making a profit is the harder part.
My advice to anyone attempting to start their own business is to research the shit out of what you want to do and create a real, solid business plan before attempting a business.
A lot of people skip this process because it seems boring and uneccesary. People figure that they know enough because they love to do what they are trying to start a business in. Unfortunately, love alone is not enough. Bottom line is don't invest your money until you have done everything possible to insure that you will make a return on your investment.
I know that this all sounds like corny advice but my family has been in business for themselves for nearly thirty years in a highly competitive retail district. I've seen a lot of great ideas become businesses only to fail simply because the owners didn't do their homework first.
The good news is once you do make a successful business for yourself doing something you love the rewards are second to none.

Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next