SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  DOWNHILL / SPEEDBOARDING / LONGBOARDS  »  Advise needed
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Advise needed

meanis
Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:27 am Reply with quote
Joined: 13 Jan 2009 Posts: 128 Location: melbourne australia
If i mod my stock randal 180's will i be able to use them for downhill, i am considering raceing newtons playground if i can get the gear together and my ability good enough for it, will these hold up to that sorta raceing? i am going to add a speherical bearing in the pivot cup and a bearing in the hanger i will also run some jimz's in them and naturally have a stiff drop mound deck, will this setup be solid enough to take it?

My reasons for doing this (if you think i am some dickhead with no idea) are that i promised myself that i would do an event there at all costs and they have pulled slalom and slideing as far as i know and can find out. I have never wanted somthing this much and its probobly out of my league but i am going to do it because i love it so much that if i take a beating it wont matter to me at all, i am willing to risk my life for this i have taken my careing board up to some speeds with out much padding and it was amazing so please help me out with advise here, i wont do it the event unless i am 100% with my gear

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:59 am Reply with quote
Of course you can use R-II's! They are great for down hill.

I would say forget about all that modding with sphericals though. It's not necessary. The only mod you need to make so they will be DH worthy is get two 42 degree Randal base plates, and some firm barrel or stim/JimZ shaped bushings. You're good to go!
meanis
Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:15 am Reply with quote
thanks for the tip, i was going to do the bearing cos its cheap and seems to make alot of dif on the trucks i have ridden with it done to them

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:52 am Reply with quote
You can also use a 35º (DH) baseplate for the back truck and keep the 50º in the front, it works great. Having a different geometry front and back adds stability and the setup is still turny.

Try flipping your RII hangers to lower your ride, turn a bit less and add even more stability. Try a combo of white (top) and black (bottom) JimZ bushings. Get use to the speeds gradually.

meanis
Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:17 am Reply with quote
just went out today and bombed some stuff out in the mountains in my state, hitting like max 60kms was fun but getting sketchy on the deck i was running (kracked skulls m1 still) need that speedboard deck asap. the trucks felt good but going that fast on a semi flexy deck isnt ment to happen

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:17 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Pierre wrote:

Try flipping your RII hangers to lower your ride, turn a bit less and add even more stability.

Doesn't add stability, just dumbs the geometry down giving the illusion of stability.

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:25 pm Reply with quote
^^^ Yes! Basically, all you're doing is inhibiting some turn.
Pierre
Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:23 pm Reply with quote
slob-air wrote:
Pierre wrote:

Try flipping your RII hangers to lower your ride, turn a bit less and add even more stability.

Doesn't add stability, just dumbs the geometry down giving the illusion of stability.

Modifying the castor does add stability, i've stopped using RIIs in downhill races a long time ago but i had the opportunity to test them at over 90k many times and flipping does work if you can't affort CNC trucks.

Did you try that theory fast enough slob?

meanis
Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:52 am Reply with quote
hey, finally come into some money for a deck, what do you guys think of the Omni drop 43' (http://www.hopkin.com.au/omni-drop-43.html) as a first speed board? from what i can tell its just a poor mans chinook but i could be wrong, anyone ridden one? how do they go?

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:17 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Pierre wrote:

Modifying the castor does add stability, i've stopped using RIIs in downhill races a long time ago but i had the opportunity to test them at over 90k many times and flipping does work if you can't affort CNC trucks.

Did you try that theory fast enough slob?

A truck is stable or its not—dumbing it down just dumbs it down. While you may have a sense of stability it's largely illusion. There's not really any degrees of stability. Beyond the yes/know equation of truck stability, the next most important element is the rider.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next