SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SNOWBOARDS  »  Flow Bindings
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Flow Bindings

polock
Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:33 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Has anyone out there tried these? I am looking at getting a pair and have heard mixed reviews on them. I have the crappy old step in bindings with the hard ass boot and want to get a softer boot but also have the ability of getting off the lift and down the hill faster. My cousin has a pair and likes them but my other friend hated them and sold his on craigslist.
yoyo
Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:35 pm Reply with quote
They have different models, but I don't know the tiny differences there. Overall a cool concept; I have an older pair as well, but like most of these newtech bindings: Very heavy!
I still switch back to my old Aluminum Bent Metal bindings which are light as a feather.
K2 makes a foldable hiback binding as well: K2 cinch system.
They use a different mechanism, but are heavy too.
Maybe check them out in a store.
auragreg
Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 31 Aug 2004 Posts: 2382 Location: Highland, Michigan, USA, Earth
LOVE my flow bindings. Fast to get in and out of. You can use whatever boot you want. No strap pressure points. VERY comfortable. The more expensive ones have better materials and more adjustments.

I've been snowboarding since 88 ... rode old Burton strap bindings, then the Sims strap bindings, then standard straps , then the Switch bindings with no high backs, then Burton Step-ins and now Flow. The Flow are my favorite so far.

They take a little while to get dialed in right tho. Give a full day to get them set where you want them. You should be able to get in and out of them easily. You really don't have to have them as tight as you think. After that, you shouldn't have to touch them again. It's weird to not feel the binding tight down on your foot. But you still have the same control.

BUT - if you are someone that likes to adjust your bindings all the time ... like tighter for riding and looser for freestyle ... I wouldn't recommend em. It's very much a "set it and forget it" type binding.

I want my bindings to feel the same ALL the time. And I love em for that.

I don't like the K2 version. I had a friend that had the K2 AND the Flow and said the Flow was a much better binding. The K2 has too many moving parts and was a pain to get into.

Support skateboard art/artists: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BurbSkateboards
frenchie michel
Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand the interest for flow binding and all back-in system
what is the problem are you too older for put your ass on the snow or what?
for my experience on those ,they are shit. not confortable ,emprisone too the foot for a smoth style, too weight; and like all back-in
impossible to put in powder or in good descents. that a big probleme in moutain .

my opinion, in USA you have the better binding of the world : burton made them
throttle_ninja
Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:38 pm Reply with quote
frenchie michel wrote:

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:32 pm Reply with quote
frenchie michel wrote:
for my experience on those ,they are shit. not confortable ,emprisone too the foot for a smoth style, too weight; and like all back-in
impossible to put in powder or in good descents. that a big probleme in moutain .

my opinion, in USA you have the better binding of the world : burton made them

why yes ... why would I want to sit in the snow when I can throw my foot in and be riding before you strap in! The same for at the bottom.

Stop style? I think that's a personal opinion. Ever see Antti Autti ride?

Also - as far as weight... I think they are comparable. Especially with the new ones.

And Burton? Please - there are MANY more brands than Burton. And they had a horrible batch of their most popular binding that broke hi-backs CONSTANTLY. I see broken straps ALL the time.

With the Flow bindings, you aren't putting wear and tear on the strap EVERY time you get out of it like standard bindings. And for the short runs here in Michigan, that's a LOT of strapping and unstrapping.

I will agree with you that they are difficult to put on with a steep hill. But as with anything, there is a technique. And any binding is hard to put on in powder.

Again - these bindings need setup time. If you think you can just mount em and ride, you're wrong. But once you get em dialed, you NEVER have to touch em again. To me - I like a consistant setup. I'd rather ride than mess with my bindings every run.

yoyo
Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:27 pm Reply with quote
To each his own....

I have some old late 80's SIMS bindings where I replaced the 'ratched' (that they did NOT have) with a custom made stainless steel hook, so they'd NOT open on impact.
Off and on while riding out of the lift, because the straps had a preload of popping up...PERFECT... and that was 20 yrs. ago.
So, the Flow come pretty close to that without broken hibacks or bases.....snowboard history.
For further reference ask Tom Sims on facebook........................
auragreg
Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:43 pm Reply with quote
yoyo wrote:
To each his own....

I have some old late 80's SIMS bindings where I replaced the 'ratched' (that they did NOT have) with a custom made stainless steel hook, so they'd NOT open on impact.
Off and on while riding out of the lift, because the straps had a preload of popping up...PERFECT... and that was 20 yrs. ago.
So, the Flow come pretty close to that without broken hibacks or bases.....snowboard history.
For further reference ask Tom Sims on facebook........................

oh god - I remember those horrible sims bindings that would pop open while riding! I had a 1635 Terry Kidwell ... that I STILL have at home! Oh the horror or the early equipment.

frenchie michel
Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
.. why would I want to sit in the snow when I can throw my foot in and be riding before you strap in! The same for at the bottom.

that is not an argument for a snowboarder, why don't you practiced Skis , it's again more fast for start..

my english is too limited for a real debate..
just I can say
if a guy like travis rice, who could have any binding compagny for sponsor, chooses Burton Cartel, is not a hasard.
ok burton is not "a cool &dope compagny"I'm not an addict, my last board was a danny kass
but like you I ride since 21years, I live in the alps ,and every year I try a lot of gear for shop
I certainly tried all bindings brand on the market, (not all model, )
and my experience is Burton makes the best..(model compare on the same price)..ajustability, confortable, fast reponse, best rackets etc...
after like all put down your higback when you take the "telesiege"
Ride, union ,flux are other good and serial alternatives , but I don't like them for others personnal reasons....but back- in will never the first argument for me , for buy bindings, more disvantage than quality.
polock
Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I am going to try and find a pair of last years models at a cheap price so I can see if I like them. I am sure I will alot better than the ones I have now. I haven't bought any new board gear in years (That sounds like frenchie) so I think I need to get something else.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next