SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SNOWBOARDS  »  a bit of history.
Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

a bit of history.

slob-air
Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:56 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Sweet! Those boards are great!!! is that a Santa Cruz Deck?

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:54 pm Reply with quote
waouh I see a lot of nice wood here.
I love these flying banana...I 'd like to have one
I didn't know that it existed a swallowtail shape for the skiboard, very cool

one of the mine (european have made snowboards end 70's/early 80's for the history:wink: )

flynnnaryd
Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Coool Looks very shark like

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:22 am Reply with quote
if you want to trade one for a flying banana
let me know

your collection is awesome !
Mig
Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:27 am Reply with quote
yoyo wrote:
The foldable hiback for example; he should have gotten a patent on it, but had no money to do so.
The foldable hi-back was invented by french-canadian Louis Fournier aka LoFo.

Lofo is responsible for a lot of innovations that most snowboarders don't know about. He showed up to a contest in Vermont with hi-backs and next thing you know Sims and Burton are offering them the next winter. Here's a funny anecdote about the invention by LoFo of the foldable hi-back has we know it today: Because his boards didn't fit easily in his small car, a Renault 5, he sawed off his prototype hi-backs and bolted them on each side of the baseplates so he could fold'em and fit the boards in his car!

He also was the first to make composite boards with p-tex and metal edges when all the big guys were still doing horizontal laminates with paint on the bottom, around 1981-82.

There was a great article in The Snowboard Journal magazine (RIP) about 5 years ago, or so, about the LoFo story vs Jeff Grell's.

yoyo
Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:51 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Mig wrote:
yoyo wrote:
The foldable hiback for example; he should have gotten a patent on it, but had no money to do so.
The foldable hi-back was invented by french-canadian Louis Fournier aka LoFo.

Lofo is responsible for a lot of innovations that most snowboarders don't know about. He showed up to a contest in Vermont with hi-backs and next thing you know Sims and Burton are offering them the next winter. Here's a funny anecdote about the invention by LoFo of the foldable hi-back has we know it today: Because his boards didn't fit easily in his small car, a Renault 5, he sawed off his prototype hi-backs and bolted them on each side of the baseplates so he could fold'em and fit the boards in his car!

He also was the first to make composite boards with p-tex and metal edges when all the big guys were still doing horizontal laminates with paint on the bottom, around 1981-82.

There was a great article in The Snowboard Journal magazine (RIP) about 5 years ago, or so, about the LoFo story vs Jeff Grell's.

Thanks for the info.
As always, the 'big' pioneers did not invent everything you see.
Tom Sims mentioned the patent thing with the foldable hiback on Facebook, so I thought he was 'right'.

Nevermind...... Just got in an old first generation Sims Switchbalde with woodden sidewalls.
nayturgirl
Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Wanted to post a contribution to the thread; here is the snowboard from 1963 that you mentioned...

=(SIMS)=
www.simsnow.com
nayturgirl
Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:17 pm Reply with quote
auragreg wrote:
It's a shame what happend to Sims. For being one of the first, the brand took a dive.

Did we? Maybe in perception, but everyone who rides our boards still likes them. Let me guess...where we are sold makes us inferior? Forget the riders we sponsor, the cause initiatives, and all the rest. Because you can buy our boards at a big box retailer, we must suck!

And yes, Tom still owns the brand.
auragreg
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:59 am Reply with quote
Joined: 31 Aug 2004 Posts: 2382 Location: Highland, Michigan, USA, Earth
nayturgirl wrote:
auragreg wrote:
It's a shame what happend to Sims. For being one of the first, the brand took a dive.

Did we? Maybe in perception, but everyone who rides our boards still likes them. Let me guess...where we are sold makes us inferior? Forget the riders we sponsor, the cause initiatives, and all the rest. Because you can buy our boards at a big box retailer, we must suck!

And yes, Tom still owns the brand.

I think you misunderstood what I meant by the BRAND taking a dive. I never said the QUALITY took a dive.

Being a guy that remembers Sims as one of the big 3 (I owned, rode, and STILL have a Terry Kidwell) I believe that yes, Sims snowboards has declined in popularity.

I never said that the boards suck. BUT - if they are only available in a big box, that severely limits the customer base. To me that's sad considering the history of the brand. Limiting your boards to certain retail establishments leaves a bad taste to me. This includes BURTON and many others who use certain tactics to limit where their brand is sold.

I owned a shop a couple years ago and YES, I sold Sims the first year I was open. The next season, I couldn't sell Sims because of EXCLUSIVE agreement to sell Sims in a Big Box instead of small shops. Small shops are what started snowboarding. The move away from that is sad. Small mom and pop shops are continually being destroyed by moves like this. Especially in the snow industry.

It seems, just now, that the skate industry is starting to come around and BACK the small shops.

Support skateboard art/artists: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BurbSkateboards

Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next