SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  B.O.N.O.S.A.  »  Another newby from Australia..
Page 3 of 5    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Another newby from Australia..

never-too-old-to-skate
Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:22 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 11 Jan 2007 Posts: 2527 Location: beyond the ether!
Scotty T wrote:
it feels as bad as a 25 year old Variflex Voodoo

have you got one? i'm chasing one in green. prefer mint/nos but used not too abused will suffice.

BTW, where in OZ are you Scotty?

Mint/NOS
Red Powell Peralta
Roundnose XT Tommy Guerrero
Scotty T
Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm in Canberra mate, no green Voodoo, I have a pink one and a black one. Intention was to ride the black one, but the board flex says no.

Saw a green one go (in Oz) for about 60 bucks last year on eBay, but haven't seen a green since. I had a pink one as a kid.
twerp
Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:13 am Reply with quote
Joined: 08 Apr 2010 Posts: 57 Location: Perth, Western Australia
gawd why on earth would anyone WANT a Variflex ?

they were fat heavy el-cheapo lumps of wood 20 years ago HAHAHA.. OK I understand collector's value.. but they were always terrible boards In My Opinion.. only a notch up from 'Street Warrior'.. and please dont tell me Steet Warrior's are collector's items now also HAHAHAH..

I've noticed a lot of NOS Cockroach wheels on eBay - is that cause they couldnt ever sell them ?? they were a quality product but I didnt think they had a lot of sales success outside of Australia.

How bad shape is that Joe Lopez ? I wouldnt mind one for the wall.. always loved his BBQ graphic..

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:32 am Reply with quote
got another question...

should I remove the griptape (pattern|0 from the Street Creep?

or leave it's 'period' style grip tape on there ?

I got bored on the weekend and decided to try the 'olive oil' (as reccomended on this forum) on the old Roskopp as it's pretty worn and faded.. I didnt have andy OLIVE oil so I used Canola oil.. I figure it's going to break down the same as olive oil.. anyway it worked well.. but there wasnt much actual stain left on the board.

I then gave the edges of the board a quick sanding with some fine-grit paper and it came up looking REALLY good... THEN I got creative and decided to remove the griptape from the other side as it's so worn out it's like smooth and some of the mini triangles of grip were flaking off.. it just looked average.. anyway.. under the griptape revealed a FLURO PINK STAIN !! never seen a fluro stain before !! looked incredible.. pity the whole deck wasnt still in that condition !! The logo is worn off so I was goin to get a retro SC decal and slap on some new griptape with the decal cut out from the grip, revealing the fluro pink.. what do u guys think ?

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:10 am Reply with quote
Joined: 25 Feb 2010 Posts: 1070 Location: Scottsdale Man-Whore
leave the "creep" alone. if the grip has been there for ages its best to keep it there.... unless you plan on re gripping the stick proper with OG grip and then you wont see any fade. dont put new-school grip on an old deck... its just wrong.... I like that deck, if you interested in that psyco, id be willing to work a deal. its cool yer stoaked. good times, reliving the past

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:17 am Reply with quote
yeah it's kinda cool OG grip style but I dont think the top has faded much - looks very deep red but i'll leave the grip there.. was just wondering if it was a bad thing..

As for the Psycho, I think i'd only consider NOS/Mint in Wrap Powell's for a trade but thanks for the offer

as for re-gripping the (warped) Roskopp, I'd so an old school style pattern of grip - to highlight the remainding un-faded Fluro pink stain.. but when you say new-school Grip tape is there a huge difference in the actual gritty surface or do you just mean the pattern of application ?

can u still get FLY-PAPER grip tape ? that;s tha sheet right there - love the cutout fly and was the perfect 'roughness'.. didnt shred your shoes, didnt wear out too fast.. and gave good grip..

the old school clear griptape like on my alva is cool but was soooo rough - would shred you fingers everymethod-air or boneless boost

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I had a Voodoo as a kid, that's the only reason I wanted one. It was a notch up from the flat pig Reflex I had before that. Yes, they are awful.

A board the same as the fibreglass board I had before the reflex went on eBay for 90 bucks the other day! They were $19.95 new.

I'd agree to not touch the grip on the creep unless you want to ride it. Oldschoolskates has OG wooster grip in all colours, not sure if they have fly paper.
twerp
Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:35 am Reply with quote
HAHAHA yeah I remember the voodo.. my best mate in the mid 80's had one of those.. then he went to the states with his parents for 6 months and came home with a Steve Saiz - the same as every 2nd NOS powell listing on eBay HAHA. I remember being fascinated with the board as it was one of the first powell's we saw to have a kick-nose.. only really the chris miller and Natas boards had any kind of kick-nose in those days.. \\Variflex Tony Hallam 'Pro Model' wasnt too bad if I remember..

and REFLEX yeah baby !! their earlier fibreglass boards were the sheet HAHA..

Your Lucero Owns. .was looking at your photos again last night.. inspiring me to set-up the old-school deck but I still need some wheels - i've got a set of used Slimeballls/Screaming hands but the wear is very uneven and would ride terribly.. pay day this week wil lsee what wheels I can find

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:18 am Reply with quote
The Lopes is in good shape, here 'tis:

I like the graphic but I have other targets in mind so it's gotta go. Will probably get rid of the spare Voodoo also, depending if a current deal in progress works out.

The Vari pro models like Tony Hallam and Gregor Rankine were actually half decent rock maple decks, but were still no comparison to quality stuff.

Yeah I'm happy with that Lucero, those pale blue trucks just set it off!

Get some NOS, I double dare you

http://www.oldschoolskates.com/master_index.aspx
twerp
Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:37 am Reply with quote
hahah yeah I'm on the oldschoolskates website allready - am trying to go back to Japan in June and then i'll have some more disposable income to throw at the sk8's... it was in Tokyo that I discovered the whole re-issue old school scene - they get into it over there too I went bannanaas buying all OG decals and powell t-shirts LOL..

the most tasty deck on there is the Lucero like yours I think !! cant decide - the Alvas are nice too

Page 3 of 5    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next