SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SKATEBOARD/PARK ADVOCACY  »  The Language of Skatepark Advocates
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

The Language of Skatepark Advocates

carveNgrind
Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Here is some good reading that some of you but perhaps not all skaters wanting a skatespot, skatepark, and/or skate space for your local area have seen ... check this out! Look to the links on the right when you are done reading this. I had never read this until now but since I've been there and done the skatepark process it seems to be some time-tested and very insightful stuff! Once you are done reading this, copy and paste this and pass it on to the city officials you are trying to form an alliance with ...

http://www.skatepark.org/the-language...rk-advocates.html

... and here's one specifically for you, the skater/skatepark advocate to understand the city lingo a little more ...

http://www.skatepark.org/the-language...ministration.html

Now go dream, plot and scheme for your next place to skate!
llamakc
Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:17 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the links. New here but not to skateboarding. I'm preparing to approach our city planners/council down in Dothan, AL soon and this will be quite helpful.
carveNgrind
Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:30 pm Reply with quote
That's good because Dothan, AL could really use a skatepark!
carveNgrind
Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Another good one is the 10 Myths About Skateparks fact sheet which I also brought to a meeting, but remember you can't reinvent the wheel (or the small and big town "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentalities) you can only thread the needle and string them along by educating them with a positive attitude and a smile even though they may well not have one, just go for it and you may well end up with a skatepark! ...

http://www.skatepark.org/forum/viewto...p?f=25&t=9858

Oh, and the only thing I ask of you if they take the hook is to go with poured-in-place in-ground concrete. Just like you I have nothing to gain but fun! Thank you!
Criscobathy
Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the great tips.

I just found out, via a contact with the city, that our community is building a public park on the South side of town. I sent an email, this morning, to the chairman of the Parks Advisory Board.

We'll see where it goes.
slob-air
Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
I wrote about 90% of the Calgary Skatepark strategy. 10 years later, a few name changes and some minor additions and its passed. 50 new skateparks and skate spots in the next ten years starting with 4 new parks breaking ground later this year.

I think it was Dallas TX that scooped one of my earlier drafts for their strategy which is already well underway.

Here's the final document. Feel free to pilfer it, copy it, mimic it... whatever you need to do to get more parks in your town or city.

PDF Download Calgary Skatepark Amenities Strategy

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:30 pm Reply with quote
You're the best! Thanks!

I spoke with a member of the parks board today. They're in the very early stages of the park developement. It sounds like there is still time to make my voice heard. My name and email have been added to the meeting notification list. I got the impression that not many members of the community have had input up to this point.

I'm excited they even want to hear what I have to say.

Not to get ahead of myself, but what do you think of this park name?

Texas Legends Skate Park.

It might be cool to pay tribute to all the TX skate legends that have contributed so much to skateboarding. I was invisioning some kind of signature deck shaped monument to each rider and or company (thinking Zorlac).

Thoughts?
carveNgrind
Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Why not?
slob-air
Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:45 am Reply with quote
Criscobathy wrote:

Texas Legends Skate Park.

It would seem to me they'd eat that right up.

Memorial's for fallen soldiers are good too—especially if they're doing a P3 process where in the community needs to raise part of the funds.

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:14 am Reply with quote
Criscobathy wrote:

I spoke with a member of the parks board today.

By the way, you, as a citizen of whatever city or town you are a citizen of, has the right to sit in on any meeting you want. Most meetings are listed on the municipal governments websites—you do not need an invite to attend.

The only exception is in-camera sittings of the the city council—which generally have nothing to do with anything other than internal issues.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next