SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SKATEBOARD/PARK ADVOCACY  »  Long Beach, CA opportunity for design/build - urgent
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Long Beach, CA opportunity for design/build - urgent

lilsheeda
Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:25 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Hope a lurker/builder is reading- someone that will drop a pool in. Need roundwall or something other than preefab, boxes, stairs, etc.

Looks like 12,000 sqft and a $450,000 budget.

Contact me - will forward contact to submit design. Here's the overview.

Subject: Fwd: Good news

Tom,

This is an email I sent to some of my guys interested in helping with the final design for the 12,000sq.ft. skate park at McBride(Cal Rec. behind Poly on MLK.) We will probably do a preliminary design and send it around for comments then have a meeting with the kids in the neighborhood. We are also doing a 3000 ft. park at Orizaba Park off Temple and relocating the old 14th Street elements to the westside at Silverado Park. Good stuff in LBC for skaters.

Subject: Good news

The ground breaking for the McBride Teen Center/Skate Park is July 31st. We need a design that fits the 450,000 budget. I'm going to the Port to see if I can get another 200,000.00. How do ya'll want to do this. Maybe have Spohn come up with a basic design based on Danny and Robs original design. Remember must be fun stuff for young kids and all concrete.

I want to see some of the parks THF has done.
lilsheeda
Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:44 am Reply with quote
Well looks like they're already going with Spohn - which means they'll spend 500K and put in some stairs and a couple pyramids or something...

Not sure how, but this Spohn is in with the city with what seems to be zero competition...they're looking for ideas, but I'm sure it's already done.

QUOTE:

Approx. 12,000sq.ft. The teen center project is a 10 million dollar facility. The skate park is part of it. Const. will begin right away. Not sure when the actual const on the park begins. We have to give them a final design. Yes, Spohn will be the contractor for the skate park. That deal was cut a while ago with the City. I have very little say in who builds it. Only the design. Spohn has been very good with us and the kids. I think with pros like Danny Montoya, Austin Stephens, Rob Gonzales, Darrell Stanton,Mike V and Tony Hawks team we can come up with a good design. Not to mention people like yourself and the kids from the neighborhood. What did you have in mind. Typically what we do is draft a design. Send it around to our core group for input and changes. Once that's done we take it to the community for input. Gives the kids ownership. very important part of what we do. Then we tweek any changes and present the final design to the kids and wa la...a skate park.
Sticks
Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:46 am Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Feb 2003 Posts: 10327 Location: Raytown Travel Agency
some official wrote:

wa la...a skatepark

"Wa la?"

Rad.
lilsheeda
Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, been throwing ideas around of what would be fun and stay positive since he's got the "in".

Apparently $450K can't get a good bowl, all above ground...so sent a link to Channel to show what pocket change and hard work gets you.

They're locked in with Spohn. I looked at who "Spohn" is and well, it says a lot...lots of pockets and schmoozers:

http://www.spohnranch.com/meet-spohn-ranch/team-spohn/

Not one to throw shit around without them being able to respond, but this got me good...especially coming from Portland and Seattle- from DIY Burnside to random smaller towns like Carnation with fun shit.

QUOTE:
We cant afford a bowl.(sumps, electrical, maintenance, etc) It all has to be above ground. Let me look into the cost thing. Is a kidney a bowl type thing. Remember I dont skate. Never have...just surf!

Been doin this skate park stuff for 15 years....fun stuff!
Sticks
Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Feb 2003 Posts: 10327 Location: Raytown Travel Agency

I was about to post that link earlier, but it just seemed cruel considering how utterly laughable the whole bunch is. I mean, what a bunch of TOTAL FUCKING GOOBERS. I was also blown away at the depth of "Xtreme Action Sports" language saturating that site.

Gag me with a fuckin spoon, it was just repulsive.
lilsheeda
Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Can't capture pics here at work, but how about the cock and balls park:

http://www.spohnranch.com/featured-parks/?park_id=996

Yeah, they are a PR firm that decided to build skateparks...it's all about the money. Had more correspondence from the contact with the city - guess I'm out of the beauracracy prevailing wage knowledge or bs...wish I could get a taste of "prevailing wage".'

I'm just going to start doodling dreamparks and see if anything gets used.

QUOTE:

yes. been to Channel, Washington St and more. thats private dollars and both are 501(c)(3) non-profits. THF (Tony Hawk Foundation) contributed dollars to help with the start up stuff at Channel Street.(5000.00) City dollars are federal funds with special requirements on public property. The difference in dynamics is over the top.. Prevailing wage(40% more than private sector), public works on site inspectors, special inspections, etc. City/govt. projects have an overhead rate of 45 - 60%. Bureaucracy feeding bureaucracy. The actual cost from Spohn Ranch to build Mike Green Skate Park (14th and Pacific)was 275,000.(it would have been 30% less if no prevailing wage requirements) Cost the city 650,000 with all the required bullshit. Nothing we can do about that. Government regulations require that stuff or you dont get the money. If I had 500,000.00 in private money we could build the greatest skate park in the fucking world!

I know of concrete disciples. really, really good stuff. As I said I have no control over contractors. Given my former councilperson thing and working with at risk youth citywide it would be a huge unethical conflict of interest.
thund3rbox
Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Hello, happened upon this post while poking around in google. Wanted to post about some work I've been doing:

Fast forward to 2013:

Orizaba got built. A very small spot, but well used by the local skaters.

Last year, I approached my local councilmember here in Long Beach (whose district includes Orizaba park) to see about building a bowl for us bowlriders and old guys who are tired of driving out of town for decent transition. He was VERY receptive. Talking with his office, we decided that adding onto Orizaba was probably the best bet for getting a bowl, rather than trying to do a whole new park (this area of LBC is very built out.)

However, in the process of "discovery", building a bowl there at Orizaba was quickly shot down due to limited space at that park and a new community center being built (open space was already allocated). All was not lost, though, as I was able to talk the city and neighborhood into adding on a bit to the back of the park. Not much, but the expansion will be better than nothing.

More details about the expansion here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/271504632978110/

More details about when this is getting built will be posted on the above facebook group very soon.

I haven't given up on building a(nother) bowl in Long Beach. Watching and waiting for other opportunities for new park projects in LBC. The previous notes in this thread are true, all the beaucratic mess involved can be a major hurdle. However, economic outlook is improving for the city, and the local government is VERY positive towards skateparks in general. Fingers-crossed.

In full disclosure, I am also involved with a local non-profit, ASK Long Beach, whose founder is a former Long Beach Councilmember and responsible for pretty much all the skateparks in LBC.

That is all, sorry for the ramble.
olden intheway
Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to get this post back to the top. Long Beach needs a skatepark in every city park. For example take a look at Cherry Park. It's packed with skaters every day with nothing to skate except for some ledges, flat rails and manny pads. The skater population in LB is over the top. Seems like I can't get a drink in any bar on 4th street without running into a pro skater. The LB city council needs to wake the hell up. We need a bowl!!!! Somewhere, anywhere in LB! And no ElDorado park does not count.
lilsheeda
Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:51 am Reply with quote
thund3rbox wrote:
Hello, happened upon this post while poking around in google. Wanted to post about some work I've been doing:

Fast forward to 2013:

Orizaba got built. A very small spot, but well used by the local skaters.

Last year, I approached my local councilmember here in Long Beach (whose district includes Orizaba park) to see about building a bowl for us bowlriders and old guys who are tired of driving out of town for decent transition. He was VERY receptive. Talking with his office, we decided that adding onto Orizaba was probably the best bet for getting a bowl, rather than trying to do a whole new park (this area of LBC is very built out.)

However, in the process of "discovery", building a bowl there at Orizaba was quickly shot down due to limited space at that park and a new community center being built (open space was already allocated). All was not lost, though, as I was able to talk the city and neighborhood into adding on a bit to the back of the park. Not much, but the expansion will be better than nothing.

More details about the expansion here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/271504632978110/

More details about when this is getting built will be posted on the above facebook group very soon.

I haven't given up on building a(nother) bowl in Long Beach. Watching and waiting for other opportunities for new park projects in LBC. The previous notes in this thread are true, all the beaucratic mess involved can be a major hurdle. However, economic outlook is improving for the city, and the local government is VERY positive towards skateparks in general. Fingers-crossed.

In full disclosure, I am also involved with a local non-profit, ASK Long Beach, whose founder is a former Long Beach Councilmember and responsible for pretty much all the skateparks in LBC.

That is all, sorry for the ramble.

Get off the Spohn Ranch teet...

I've found that you and the group never once even brought in a top builder like Grindline and I haven't asked the others like California Skateparks or Dreamland if they were ever asked to quote, but I sure have my doubts. Who built Orizaba and who else was asked?

Some of the arguments about why are/were unfounded.

Seems fishy and obvious that there's a link with Spohn, their growth, the city of long beach and councilmembers or the ex councilmember you work for who favors them - or represents them.

There's a whole lotta beach area, pool area, that could handle a Venice type bowl. And the beach/olympic pool area was already a mecca once in time.

I hate to say it but I think you are part of what the bureaucratic mess was and how it transformed. I've said it before, I think the heart is in the right place, but what's being put down is questionable.
lilsheeda
Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:11 am Reply with quote
Nobody has ever mentioned anything about the pros (Or brought them into the fray) that live here- that could get a bowl built. Like was said earlier, they're everywhere within a mile radius.

Latest Long Beach and Spohn creation.

Small town Oceanside and now Irvine/Huntington are going for it.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next