SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  PRESS RELEASES, COMPANY ANNOUNCEMENTS, NEWS & SALES  »  Boycott IASC
Page 1 of 1    

Boycott IASC

MrCokesNSmokes
Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:53 am Reply with quote
We are:

http://thesolitarylifeof.blogspot.com...o-go-to-hell.html

It's time, guys. Probably, way overdue.
slob-air
Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:42 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
How exactly do we boycott IASC?

Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:19 pm Reply with quote
slob-air wrote:
I'm a little confused as well. He signs praises about Abec11 and Powell/Peralta, among other companies, then includes those on the list of IASC companies to boycott.

MrCokesNSmokes
Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:36 pm Reply with quote
slavadov wrote:
slob-air wrote:
I'm a little confused as well. He signs praises about Abec11 and Powell/Peralta, among other companies, then includes those on the list of IASC companies to boycott.

The company list came from IASC's own list of member companies from their website. Abec 11 was actually a surprise; I was previously unaware that they were even members of IASC. I actually discussed this with a couple of industry friends of mine, who were also a bit surprised that Abec 11 was an IASC member. The response was, "They're not really a member, are they?!" I was like, "Well, they're on the 'member' list...!" I assume the list is accurate, but I suppose it could be an error.

We gave Powell-Peralta props, for supporting the Philly freestyle contest. Which I thought was well deserved.

But, the "bigger picture" is the overall agenda (and execution thereof) of IASC, and their various initiatives. Most recently, the "Local Skateshop Day" one.

I already explained in the article why I didn't agree with this, but I'll recap briefly: I don't see how these companies can support something like a Zumiez (which is a direct threat to core retailers), and at the same exact time, profess any sort of "support" for those same core retailers. It's essentially supporting the enemy of your friend. If you're supporting your friend's enemy, then what kind of "friend" are you, really...?

It's tough, because companies like Abec 11 and P/P have done a lot- individually- for skateboarding. I don't think that anyone would deny that. But, as IASC members, they are ultimately tied to whatever initiatives IASC puts forth. It's these intiatives that I find fault with. I can't in good conscience support them. So it's extremely difficult to support, in good conscience, the companies that stand behind these things.

Ideally, as a skater, I'd like to see one of two things:

1. Far more thoughtful initiatives from IASC, or
2. Brands distancing themselves from these initiatives.

I guess 3 could be:

3. Brands doing their own "support whatever" initiatives, unaffiliated with IASC.

As far as Abec 11 and P/P are concerned... these are two companies that, when they do things on their own, outside of IASC... they do good stuff. So, maybe #3 is the way to go? I don't know...

I voiced my concerns about these things directly to IASC (as I usually do). I got the typical "thanks for the input" response.

It just gets to a point where too much is too much. I would actually love to see IASC do more stuff like, their skatepark development guide (which I thought was really great, and actually helped get parks built). Stuff that I could get behind, as a skater.

If they could pull it off, I'd get behind it. But as it sits now, I just can't see it happening anytime soon- if ever. It's kind of a bummer.
PPForLife
Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Dude... I am with you but that is the nature of being big dogs in the industry.. to figure out how to cut past everybody else and force the customer to ante up to you instead.

I enjoyed it for what it was then too. I loved going down to the sk8shop and getting all the coolest stuff but its not like that anymore. The Sk8 industry kind of sucks now... its all candy and soda pop... pre teen Bull Shit. There's no soul left in there anymore. SK8's History is 100% American made yet everything is mass produced in China and sold to our kids at Kmart.

I myself idolized some of these early people like sports figures as a kid... nowadays every kid on the corner has a Tony Hawk from McSports. What else is there except the way some of these guys are going out there and licensing their names and starting up their own joint ventures to try to take back what was theirs to begin with. We ourselves could do that as well but how... all start up sk8 shops? We can always try to preserve what it is through our actions but there's a reason small sk8 shops can't compete... its because that is how the industry is... its eating its own...

Page 1 of 1