SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  RAMPS  »  Ramp Paint
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Ramp Paint

Upland_Yo
Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:17 am Reply with quote
I'm going to resurface the ramp in the next couple of weeks. I have always used masonite in the past but it seems that the quality and durability of this last batch was sub par to what I've experienced in the past. This year I'm going to use a nice plywood which is double the cost but hopefully it will last 3-4 years. I know Skatepaint works really well around here as far as keeping our harsh winter from destroying the surface. It's $375 for 5 gallons which is a little pricey.

Anyone know of a poly paint that works well?...and holds up?
Lethargic
Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:13 am Reply with quote
What about marine/boat deck paint. That stuff will hold up to anything.

Might be worth looking into.

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:47 am Reply with quote
Joined: 16 Oct 2006 Posts: 1266 Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada
That's the one ... I doubt that skate paint is more durable or weather resistant than marine paint, if it's even any different. Marine paint is pretty pricey too, but at least you know that it's a proven product and isn't just being hyped as a "skate product". Check out boat-building sites ... those guys have been keeping water out of their wood forever.

I just put on exterior grade mahogany (mahogany top, birch bottom) painted on the bottom and spar urethane'd on top ... seems pretty weather-proof, although time will tell. I don't care, though, because it costs $13 per sheet (cheaper than masonite). The nice thing about this stuff is that the top veneer has no patches, seams, knots, or faults. That's where a lot of pine type plys fail.

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Baltic birch with Spar?
Thats what I'm considering and then Extira MDF for the flats.

http://www.extira.com/pageBuild.asp?PageID=B_extiravmdf_e

If you get to it before me let me know how it works

It looks alot like skatelight with out being 150$ a sheet.
The local lumber store can get Extir afor me at around $70 a sheet.
marker
Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:13 pm Reply with quote
wow great link. Havent' heard of that stuff before. just a mater of expansion and contraction. As long as it doesn't move too much it should work fine.

As for paint I'm betting that epoxy paint would work similar to marine and ramp paint.
warehouse
Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:08 pm Reply with quote
http://rampplans.org/forums/?board=ti...07294731;start=15

If that link doesn't work, check ramp plans .org in the questions and tips section under ramp surfaces.
There is a test there that shows how little the Extira absorbs. It looks really good.
rightfootforward
Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:17 pm Reply with quote
http://www.extira.com/pageBuild.asp?PageID=B_uses_e

You need to check the uses this stuff is made for. I do not see one example from the manufacturer saying it can carry a load or withstand a pounding.

This is not a good material for a skate ramp..

It is costly and would need replacing. The price of one sheet of Ramp Armor is cheaper than buying this stuff and then needing to replace it, then paint it, then fix it, then burn it eventually because you realise you made the wrong choice.
Lethargic
Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:06 am Reply with quote
Lethargic wrote:
What about marine/boat deck paint. That stuff will hold up to anything.

Might be worth looking into.

Checked with a painter friend who says marine paint prob will not be suitable for all the contact skateboards will have so ignore my previous post...he says it will also run slow which is not what you want.

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:56 am Reply with quote
rightfootforward wrote:
http://www.extira.com/pageBuild.asp?PageID=B_uses_e

You need to check the uses this stuff is made for. I do not see one example from the manufacturer saying it can carry a load or withstand a pounding.

This is not a good material for a skate ramp..

It is costly and would need replacing. The price of one sheet of Ramp Armor is cheaper than buying this stuff and then needing to replace it, then paint it, then fix it, then burn it eventually because you realise you made the wrong choice.

Skatelight/armour etc is 3-4 times as much money. Extira is almost twice as much as birch. I think its worth a look. Masonite isn't designed for skate ramps and its a popular choice.
Remember that skatelight was originaly designed for cabinetry.
marker
Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:42 am Reply with quote
yea I think its worth a look too. I've used some pretty crazy stuff like expanded pvc and smooth hardy board. The pvc cracked the 4 x 8 sheets of smooth hardy board used for soffets actually has held up amazingly well.

Skatelite is proven and awesome and expensive. Over time the stuff just stands up and outlast the wood underneath it. So if you were a rational person you would see the benefit of just saving up for skatelite and never having to worry but there is something exciting about a possible surface that is half as much as skakelite that might perform the same.

I

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next