SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  RAMPS  »  Expanded another Twin Cities indoor skate park...
Page 1 of 1    

Expanded another Twin Cities indoor skate park...

vapors
Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:02 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Hey all...

It's been a great year for me as far as getting park build jobs go - thank you to the skate gods for providing me these great opportunities...

This is a skate park called SUMMIT that we built in 2009, but as they decided to expand, they knocked down a couple walls to have a lot more length overall to their park.

We were able to add in this double-drop stage area and fit a couple rails and ledges on it. It's about 60 feet in total length, and 24 feet wide.

And here you can see from the top of this new stage the view of most of what the rest of the park look like.

We also moved an existing mini ramp to a new area and have it set up to bowl off with a hip within the coming month... I'll try to post up some pics when we get it finished up.

Stoked to have such a GREAT scene in the Twin Cities metro area and also around our state of Minnesota!!!
slob-air
Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
We3've lost all our indoor parks. Sucks. Enjoy!

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:55 pm Reply with quote
ya know....

we were able to open up some private indoor spots here.

all it takes getting the right dudes together that are willing and able to split rent and not afraid and get down to business when it comes to building and maintaining the spot.

I think there's like 35-40 guys here that pay rent to keep 3 indoor bowl spots going. And it's been a HUGE asset to our scene... on so many levels!
skateight
Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:53 pm Reply with quote
The only way to guarantee a place to ride, is to build it yourself.

Get crackin' boys.
rightfootforward
Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Nice work sk8eight.. Another way to get the radius for the horizontal brace is just hold each piece up to the side of the template after fitting and trace the radius on to the board. They are both the same radius unless you are using some kind of cut-to-fit templates. Its a lot less time consuming than the system you are currently using.

Not knocking your work, just making a suggestion.
vapors
Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:30 pm Reply with quote
lookin' good! more to skate!!!

rff is on the right track with the corner rib radius thing... as long as you are making 90 degree corners where both opposing walls are the same radius. it is the same as the regular transition radius.

its a whole different ballgame once you start getting into fully round bowl ends or when there is radius change.

I have found that you can get around using math on oddly shaped radius changes by cutting templates that split the difference in the amount of radius, and then using a thin strip of masonite or metal to read the custom curvatures between them and trace them onto the framing ribs.

i've used that method on a few different bowled designs where I had to join transition to bank scenarios, and shallow to deep end designs where there are different radius changes.

but it's really all about trial and error. if you find a method that works, go with it. there's a good chance you're gonna figure out a better way that works just as good if not better as you go along.

keep up the good work!

slob-air
Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:52 pm Reply with quote
vapors wrote:
ya know....

we were able to open up some private indoor spots here.

all it takes getting the right dudes together that are willing and able to split rent and not afraid and get down to business when it comes to building and maintaining the spot.

I think there's like 35-40 guys here that pay rent to keep 3 indoor bowl spots going. And it's been a HUGE asset to our scene... on so many levels!

Been there done that. Vacancy is horribly low a lease/rent has gone through the roof.

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:33 pm Reply with quote
aww slob! say it isn't so!!!
vapors
Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:39 am Reply with quote
Finally got some pics up'd...

Here's the bowl - its like a mini ramp bowl basically. Mellow and small, slight hip, s-curve hip, extensions, escalators... Check it:

There has been talk of adding onto this bowl later on, possibly making a deep/taller end... Time will tell!!!
slob-air
Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:09 pm Reply with quote
That'd be fun for awhile. Nice design/work. I'd be itching for at least another 4 or 5 ft of depth.

Page 1 of 1