SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  RAMPS  »  ANOTHER Surfacing question
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

ANOTHER Surfacing question

Ricketts
Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:52 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Yes I know this is a beat to death topic. BUT. I recently acquired a used mini ramp, needs a few things, resurfacing being one of them. So looking like 2 layers of 3/8 plywood (whats on it currently), and 1/4 sanded plywood for top layer. Opinions? This will be a outdoor, uncovered ramp.

Ken Park Crystal Ball
Grabke HBT (Purple stain)
Lee American Icons
warehouse
Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Regular sanded ply splinters like hell. The sanded layer is super thin and lasts for about a dozen sessions and then it'll start to delam .
Even regular unsanded ply lasts longer.
slob-air
Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Baltic Birch or Norwegian Birch is the ever lovin' shit. Not sure how it fares in rain, but it is a magnificent riding surface.

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 04 May 2009 Posts: 335 Location: North County San Diego, OG Down South country.
Any wood structures that are going to be out in the elements need to be protected, either by a roof, covered up or a primed and painted surface. Even if the top layer of a ramp is covered with a skatelite type of surface, the under layers should be primed and painted to protect them from eventual rot. The top layers will have at least a 1/16" spacing between the sheets to allow for expansion and these gaps allow water penetration.

So at a minimum all the final top layers of the plys should be primed and painted, especially the edges where the grain and laminates are exposed. Even with a great paint job wood ramps will be a maintenance project down the road in 3 to 5 years, even less in a very damp location. Keeping it coverd (tarped) when not in use and providing good air flow to the under parts of the ramp to help dry out any damp spots will extend the eventual need to fix it back up.

Allowing for a minimal slope so water drains off the ramp and does not puddle up under the layers can also be a great deterrant to rot and weathering.

Painted, sanded birch makes a great outdoor surface and indoors the birch can go naked or just have a clear satin sealer applied.

Good Luck...

Owner DownSouthSkates
gogomouse1
Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I had to look and see where you live....... North Carolina? Eeep! Lots of moisture there.

If you can get ahold of one of those paint sprayers, you can coat the sides and bottom of the ramp quickly and easily. Surface? I don't know- I never successfully built many ramps- in humid Miami, I didn't see the point- to much upkeep and $$$$$ . I just skated other's ramps instead.
slob-air
Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
If there's tons of moisture, treat the frame and underlayers and use steel for the top layer. Let the steel be exposed to the elements for a week until it rusts, sand it, clean it off and then paint it with a urthane based paint.

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
uugghhh.

If I had a dollar for every ramp I've seen painted with Latex house paint........ sloooooow to skate on, especially in the heat.
Mogs
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:35 am Reply with quote
Joined: 04 May 2009 Posts: 335 Location: North County San Diego, OG Down South country.
Yeah, latex is soft and slow. An epoxy style paint like you would use for a concrete floor has a harder finish to it and cheaper than "skate paint".

We used a clear urethane or spar varnish for ours when it had masonite for the top layer. The hardened top of masonite is pretty slick so we used a "satin" finish spar varnish and ended up with the desire grip on the surface, and it helped to protect the masonite from the elements.

I've never used marine ply for any ramps, so I wonder how much that is cost wise vs the birch? I would think that comes in the correct thickness and with a sanded surface on one side.

Owner DownSouthSkates
PAWN
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:03 am Reply with quote
brazillian rainforest wood slathered in tongue oil!

Really, to avoid headaches, just get a nice tarp, or an average tarp from harbor freight and throw it over top after every session. You can go with an unpainted surface if you cover it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/29-ft-4-inch-x-49-ft-reflective-heavy-duty-silver-tarpaulin-1437.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/19-ft-6-inch-x-29-ft-4-inch-reflective-heavy-duty-silver-tarpaulin-47678.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/19-ft-x-29-ft-4-inch-all-purpose-weather-resistant-tarpaulin-47673.html

www.fine-co.com buy some shit!
kingpat
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:42 am Reply with quote
metal all the way. you have the same conditions down there as we do. metal rules. the only bummer is when it gets super hot, but you porbably won't want to be skating in 100 degree weather anyways.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next