SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SKARFING MATERIAL  »  grass vs. corn fed cattle
Page 1 of 3    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

grass vs. corn fed cattle

beaubrennan
Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I've heard that feeding corn to cattle is abusive and can kill them because they are designed to eat grass, but it tastes pretty good. (the meat that is)

Feeding corn to cattle essentially shortens the time between birth to slaughter considerably, which is pretty shitty for the cow, but it makes the meat taste pretty good.

Grass fed beef is leaner and higher in omega fats.

I don't know.

I'm on the fence with this one. Which one is better?

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:31 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Whatever one is grilled to tastey perfection
Hell_Concave
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:58 am Reply with quote
cows are fed corn to fatten them up for auction, along with the grass. the corn feed makes them taste better in addition to adding weight. are they higher in cholesterol and triglicerides after being fed corn? oh yeah! what is the best tasting beef in the world? Kobe beef which is fed beer and hand massaged by Japanese people!

I don't know if corn feed kills cows. they are about to die anyways when they are fed corn so it is a moot point!

You wouldn't want to eat a cow not fattened with corn. Buffalo would be a better choice.
mosu101
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:07 am Reply with quote
the Omega fats is worthy of your consideration if you value your health above your taste buds.

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:47 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Hell_Concave wrote:
...the corn feed makes them taste better in addition to adding weight.

It doesn't make them taste better. Grain make them taste better. Corn makes them taste like shit. Both fatten 'em up.

And you can tell if its been corn fed. On the shelf the fat in the meat is yellow instead of white. Cooked the meat has a slight greyness to it rather than vivid contrast of color.

Last edited by slob-air on Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:30 am Reply with quote
This is a complex issue and it goes much deeper than corn-fed vs grass-fed. I seriously doubt you will find a 100% grass fed animal... unless you raise it yourself. A little bit of corn is a good and natural thing to feed meat animals... it's a treat for them (oats too, but that is $$$). No way are you going to find a 100% corn fed animal either... that would be a dead animal.

I work with lots of folks who raise meat & poultry in the local and traditional manner. I know some heavy hitters in the slow food movement. A good friend is a phD nutrition scientist and epidemiologist for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. So this issue is very important to me. I am not an expert, but I have learned a lot working on farms and with farmers, eating 90% local, and running slow foods events.

My advice: seek out grass fed beef and pastured/forested pork, and pastured chicken and eggs. Find a local farmers market and join a CSA or meat share. You should not be eating commodity meats from a Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation. Not only is the fat and protein completely different in a CAFO animal, they are also being fed daily doses of hormones and antibiotics. Not to mention the horrific conditions of the feedlot and slaughter operations, nor the environmental and epidemiological concerns. Try to find a local source and eat less meat of higher quality, if you care about something beyond the next meal.

Learn to cook pastured meat differently than CAFO meat. Cook at a much lower temperature, for a longer time if you are frying or broiling. If you buy from a reputable meat processor, you can cook the meat more rare and still be safe.

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:53 am Reply with quote
Corn isn't good for mammals, PG. It has very little good in it at all. All it does is fatten while having some negatives that go along with that.

In these parts, cattle are grass fed and grain fed. And you simply can't beat the taste.

Corn is cheap because your government subsidizes it so its cheap feed.

Fattening cattle up means more pounds when they sell them. Corn fattens them up real good but at a cost to quality and taste. Grain fed fatten up nicely with better marbling in the meat—making them cook better and taste better.

They're even feeding Salmon (a predator/carnivore) corn in salmon farms. Tastes like shit. Night and day when compared with wild salmon.

Grass fed is better for the farmer and the environment though as there is no extra cost in feed. Less energy to produce.

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:14 am Reply with quote
Excellent posts.....

Thanks for the info.

The beef I had last night was grain-fed, but probably was given corn too.

It was delicious.

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Corn vs Grass

Alberta grass & grain fed

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote
the left one is fatter and has waay better marbling, so most would take that one for the flavor it would have.

the one on the right is much much leaner but might not have the fat content (flavor) of the other.

i would definitely eat both though.

but the one on the bottom is best overall...lean and marbled just right.

the one i had last night was definite corn fed. fatty as hell. losts of rubbery thick tough fat. In fact it was a ribeye that looked exactly like the top left pic. it's as if someone took a pic of my steak before I bought it!

*theme to twilight zone*

Page 1 of 3    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next