SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  RAMPS  »  Portable Mini Ramp
Page 1 of 1    

Portable Mini Ramp

WippetBoy
Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:13 am Reply with quote
Got a question for any ramp builders out there

I've wanted to build a mini ramp for many years but was always stuck for space. I've seen a lot of small ramps people have built due to limited space so its time for me to give it a go.

I have 2 options

1) A 2-3ft tall 5 foot wide mini ramp

or

2) A 2-3ft tall 8 foot wide mini ramp

So it seems like a no brainer the issue is down to space. I can make a larger ramp if I make it so that it can be moved. I was thinking of making in 3 sections which I can bold together (seen a few examples of this which look OK). Fortunately I have a nice solid foundation to put this on. Something like this http://sharpfork.imgur.com/ramp20#16

I was thinking of putting castors on the back of the ramp so it can be tipped onto its edge and wheeled (in its 3 sections) when its not in use.

How heavy is a section of the ramp likely to be? Is this an achievable task for a normal strength man. I reckon it should be OK but don't want to build something I then can't move otherwise the wife will kill me

If its not I may have to go with the 5ft ramp but really want to make it as wide as I can
IcandoanOllie
Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 17 Nov 2006 Posts: 130 Location: Isla de la Muerte / Germany
The wider the better, but i'm sure that a fully constructed 8' quarter ( ply templates/side pieces, every 8" a 2x4 and at least 2 layers + coping) is way to heavy to lift and/or move it on a regular basis.
On what ground you plan to build it ? do you need to build a flat or could the quarter just be quarter to concrete/ground?

so 2 cents are just build it 5 ft wide if you have to make it moveable!
5 ft sucks but if better than nothing!
izo96
Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:00 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
You could make it 5 piece. Flat on its own and each transition split into a 4ft section (8ft wide in total).
happydude
Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 13 Feb 2012 Posts: 44 Location: saskatchewan, canada
i did mine like this
http://skullandbonesskateboards.com/f...opic.php?t=143495
it's only 4 feet wide, but even with an extra foot it would still be pretty easy to move.
WippetBoy
Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:24 am Reply with quote
@happydude, If your ramp was double the width ie twice the weight would you still be able to tip it onto its edge? I see that as the biggest problem as I would be able to then wheel it on the castors.

The surface it will be on is paving stones however they are not ideal for skating on as there are too many joins/bumps. That's what puts me off a couple of quarter pipes

I know what I want todo but I think I will have to go for the smaller ramp
happydude
Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:02 am Reply with quote
Joined: 13 Feb 2012 Posts: 44 Location: saskatchewan, canada
if you made it 8 feet wide i think you would need an extra person to help you stand it up. it would be pretty tough by yourself.

Page 1 of 1